2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

No posts about Rossi being only the SECOND Rookie in Wild history to score 20+ goals? imo, this kid has answered ALL of the questions asked about him before the season started and for a team that had Center depth issues since its inception, we finally have a solid 3-4 (Rossi/Ek/Khusnutdinov/Hartman/Goudreau) we can build a roster with. Will he/won’t he turn into a true #1 center? only time will tell…. but his rookie year performance should get more attention and would have had we also not had budding star Faber in the fold too…

The future looks bright for the Wild…

oh and Jesper Wallsted stopped something like 58 of 60 shots this weekend for 2 wins…The rest of the “kids” in Iowa (especially our young defenseman) are playing MUCH better the last month or so and are starting to get comfortable playing in their 1st year of professional hockey and next year’s wave of young forwards will finally bring a HUGE dose of offensive skill to Iowa…

Umy
    South Metro

THANK you for the optimism- nice to finally hear some!

CaptainMusky

Riley Heidt season incoming! Can you imagine him and Yurov on the roster next year along with the Great Wall of St Paul coming soon? There will never be more excitement. I sure hope BG can get Yurov to sign that would be huge.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I love Heidt’s game, but he’s a LLLOOONNNGGG shot to make the Wild roster, who would he replace? I think the ONLY chance he has sticking with the Wild next year is if Yurov DOESN’T come over next season and Heidt absolutely wow’s enough in preseason and the first 9 games to justify sending Jojo to Iowa (I just don’t see Heidt playing bottom 6, he’s never been that type of player and they saw what it did to Rossi)

Buffalo’s Zack Benson is a good measuring stick for Heidt, they are very similar players, play style, body frame, etc.. Benson earned his stay in the NHL vs going back to Junior, he has 9 goals and 14 assists in 61 games sofar…Can Heidt perform similarly? That’s pretty dang tough to do…very rare for non top 5 picks…

BUT

Having Heidt play another (5th) season in the WHL is kind of pointless for his development…

CaptainMusky

I wasnt suggesting Heidt would be with the big club, just the fact to get him in the fold with Iowa.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I wasnt suggesting Heidt would be with the big club, just the fact to get him in the fold with Iowa.

He couldn’t play in Iowa until the 2025/2026 season…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Big decision coming up with what the Wild will do with Jack Peart…they either sign him or let him play his 4th season at SCSU and then he becomes a free agent next August ala Jack McBain….

sticking with Wild College hockey prospects, Rieger Lorenz has had a huge sophomore season at Denver University and the Pioneers are a favorite to make the frozen four…keep an eye on him, he’s a big power forward who can score (He’s bigger than Boldy and willing to play physical) and like Boldy, it took him a year of College hockey to get comfortable and now he’s playing really well…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I can’t help but feel the Wild are in a precarious position with goaltending. Our best goaltender is going to turn 40, may or may not retire, and may or may not sign with us if he does not retire.

The Gus Bus got stuck this season. Does he recover?

And is the Wall of St Paul ready for prime time?

Lots of ??? For a position that looked really well sorted out at the beginning of the season.

tswoboda

I can’t help but feel the Wild are in a precarious position with goaltending. Our best goaltender is going to turn 40, may or may not retire, and may or may not sign with us if he does not retire.
    The Gus Bus got stuck this season. Does he recover?

And is the Wall of St Paul ready for prime time?

Lots of ??? For a position that looked really well sorted out at the beginning of the season.

Completely agree. Goaltending is the reason they’re not in the playoffs and will be the talk of the off-season. High stakes decisions need to be made and no obvious answer.

JoeMX1825
    MN

While the Wild haven’t got much/any goalies stealing Playoff games (maybe Gus’s OT win in Dallas last year) GMBG has always been able to find great value goalie solutions for the regular season…The other thing to remember is that really good/playoff proven goalies are expensive, the Wild have been playing on the cheap from the goalie position for years…
    It’s going to be Wallstedt’s time either next season or the season afterwards. They will give him every opportunity to succeed in the league, so I don’t see any big changes for at least 2-3 years at a minimum, we’ll then know if we’re locked in with Wallstedt or likely hitting the FA market again…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Blues vs Vegas tonight…Who do we want to win? Obvious answer is Blues, but is it better to chase one team or two teams for the final Wildcard spot? Blues remaining schedule is easier than Vegas or the Wild…

tswoboda

Rooting for a blowout, no overtime, and a goalie fight where they both break their blocker hand

Ripjiggen

While the Wild haven’t got much/any goalies stealing Playoff games (maybe Gus’s OT win in Dallas last year) GMBG has always been able to find great value goalie solutions for the regular season…The other thing to remember is that really good/playoff proven goalies are expensive, the Wild have been playing on the cheap from the goalie position for years…
    It’s going to be Wallstedt’s time either next season or the season afterwards. They will give him every opportunity to succeed in the league, so I don’t see any big changes for at least 2-3 years at a minimum, we’ll then know if we’re locked in with Wallstedt or likely hitting the FA market again…

Changes no decisions this off season yes.

tswoboda

It was inevitable

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2024-03-25-215516.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

It was inevitable

of course it was, how about the Vegas goalie save on a penalty shot 30 seconds into OT! Then Vegas wins it on the next shift…

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

Changes no decisions this off season no.

I think this offseason will be dictated by what Flower wants to do… If he wants to play another year or 2, then I could see Gusbus getting traded at the draft and Flower mentors Wallstedt and eventually gives up the starters crease over time. If Flower retires, then Wallstedt splits time with Gusbus next year and they see how it goes… At some point (next season) they need to give Wallstedt NHL games to see how he looks and if he’s gonna be a long term solution for them…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Dang, Vegas plays in Nashville tonight on a back to back…tough 2 game road stretch for them…will their luck finally run out? will Nashville’s point streak end? Odds of another 3 point game? (i’d say high)

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

What are the wild’s odds of making the playoffs?

JoeMX1825
    MN

6.7% as of this morning…will change tonight after Vegas’s game…

Ripjiggen

Meant to say changes no decisions yes.
    As in I don’t think personnel changes are happening but agree decisions on who are your two goalies will happen this off season.

tswoboda

Basically zero. Would need to win out and have Vegas lose a few

JoeMX1825
    MN

Big decision coming up with what the Wild will do with Jack Peart…they either sign him or let him play his 4th season at SCSU and then he becomes a free agent next August ala Jack McBain….

Peart signed his Wild ELC this morning (deal starts next year so he didn’t burn the 1st year)…This likely means Deamon Hunt will be given every opportunity to make the Wild roster as the 6th/7th defenseman next year, otherwise Iowa will likely have too many young defenseman to play (Hunt, Lambos, O’Rourke, Spacek, Masters, Peart, Johansson) unless they package one or two in trades this offseason…

Ripjiggen

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>crawdaddy wrote:</div>

Basically zero. Would need to win out and have Vegas lose a few

So is it time to tank? Sorry couldn’t resist.

Ripjiggen

Sending Iowa out there and putting the rest in the press box. jester

tswoboda

Someone tell 97 no more score goal

tswoboda

It’s Brock Faber week at The Athletic. The Russo/Lazerus debate is actually really funny jester

Lazerus: You’re not wrong that Bedard hasn’t played in a meaningful NHL game this season. I don’t even remember what a meaningful Blackhawks game looks like. Even when they were winning championships, the regular season didn’t mean anything because they were so good and so confident that they were usually on autopilot and never really cared about seeding or home-ice advantage. I watch you and Joe Smith treating every loss like the apocalypse and every win like V-E Day and, man, it sure looks fun. You’re jealous of my White House visits; I’m jealous of your ability to care about a mid-February game against the Arizona Coyotes.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Peart signed his Wild ELC this morning

I thought he actually regressed this season. Last year he was better, at least on paper. Maybe he just played on a better team last year too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

It’s Brock Faber week at The Athletic. The Russo/Lazerus debate is actually really funny jester

Lazerus: You’re not wrong that Bedard hasn’t played in a meaningful NHL game this season. I don’t even remember what a meaningful Blackhawks game looks like. Even when they were winning championships, the regular season didn’t mean anything because they were so good and so confident that they were usually on autopilot and never really cared about seeding or home-ice advantage. I watch you and Joe Smith treating every loss like the apocalypse and every win like V-E Day and, man, it sure looks fun. You’re jealous of my White House visits; I’m jealous of your ability to care about a mid-February game against the Arizona Coyotes.

I thought it was funny how Lazerus starts the debate by telling Russo he can’t mention Bedard’s +/-…. so Bedard is a -37 and Lazerus says its because the Hawks are so historically bad, yet no mention that 2nd in goals and 4th in points on the team Jason Dickinson is a +3 playing every game sofar this historically bad season…

Viewing 30 posts - 4,471 through 4,500 (of 5,361 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.