2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• tswoboda

So you can’t pull the Ek line 5-5 stats during the same period when Rossi-Kirill-Boldy played together? I’d be willing to bet they don’t look so hot….which is the point i’m arguing…

5 game span from 11/2/23 – 11/10/23; team went 2-3 playing the Rangers, Devils, Islanders, and Sabres

Kaprizov-Rossi-Boldy in 42 minutes TOI
    Attempts: 54-47 – 53%
    Shots: 20-27 – 43%
    Goals: 3-3 – 50%
    xGoals: 2.24-2.12 – 51%

Foligno-Ek-Maroon in 43 minutes TOI
    Attempts: 44-32 – 58%
    Shots: 18-13 – 58%
    Goals: 3-2 – 60%
    xGoals: 1.8-1.45 – 55%

whistling

I can’t wait until we hear it’s because of who they were matched up against or which D-pair they were playing with

JoeMX1825
    MN

well, hell, let’s make Foligno – Ek – Maroon our first line then! They are obviously better than our top line (just look at those stats)
    Why are we paying Kirill $9 million & Boldy $7 million when they are obviously inferior? Man, Maroon has got to be the best bargain in the league for those metrics at only $800k!

You should personally call GMBG and tell him you’ve figured out analytic hockey, you call it “Moneypuck”

Attachments:
    1. moneyball.png

tswoboda

well, hell, let’s make Foligno – Ek – Maroon our first line then! They are obviously better than our top line (just look at those stats)
    Why are we paying Kirill $9 million & Boldy $7 million when they are obviously inferior? Man, Maroon has got to be the best bargain in the league for those metrics at only $800k!
    You should personally call GMBG and tell him you’ve figured out analytic hockey, you call it “Moneypuck”

you asked for the stats… and now you’re attempting to mock me for posting them?

Run it back baby

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Joe: Asks for charts
    Me: Posts stats
    Joe: Those stats don’t support my bias, they are trash

LOL how dare you use stats to support an opinion here.

basseyes

Ek and Rossi are such different players. The munchkin line of Rossi, Zuccy and KK is just to d@m short and funny to watch get in net front scrums.

Boldy has gotta be the most frustrating player to ever put on an NHL sweater at times. He is either biblical good or bad, like no in-between. Playing with Ek might teach him a little about consistency and steadiness. He’s such a gumby at times, he seriously needs to bulk up and grow into a man’s body. At times he looks like a rag doll 14 year old kid all floppy like a wet spaghetti noodle.

CaptainMusky

@CaptainMusky Faber 50 point pace alert! He actually blew right past 50, straight to 52. The scary part is watching him defend against the extra skater in these last 2 games… The kid is insane!

I say he gets it!

JoeMX1825
    MN

13 points in his last 10 games, he’s only been getting better and better as season goes, why stop now?

Just imagine if Brock had more toi with the Gretzky/God like figure known as Marco Rossi… )

JoeMX1825
    MN

I want to see Ridley Grieg do the MJ next time…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ovi on a 6 game goal scoring streak now…
    58 to go!

JoeMX1825
    MN

Good lord its like a home game in the desert… snowbirds picked the right time to leave Minnesota…

basseyes

Hey Deano, Boldy with Ek and KK doesn’t look to terrible does it?

JoeMX1825
    MN

they’ve been playing together as our PP1 unit all season…

basseyes

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>

Exactly!

So play them 5 on 5. Boldy needs to play with stone hands, aka, the wilds leading goal scorer. Mr consistent. Boldy is maddening to watch at times. Kid’s got so much talent and size, but no brain to go with it.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Walz is just brutal… why do they keep putting him on the air?

Great faceoff prediction for Leterrie who proceeds to lose it absolutely clean…

basseyes

He’s especially bad tonight vs normal.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Whoa! We scored 5-5!

How long will Boldy maintain this level of play?

tswoboda

Best hockey they’ve played all year right now. PP shooting gallery is a treat to watch especially the way they compete to win pucks back. Yeah it’s a whopping 3 games but at least nice to see them show a little fire coming out of the AS break after the way they went into it.

Gopher on Gopher crime to ruin the shutout was heartbreaking, shouldn’t be allowed

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>basseyes wrote:</div>

Did you hear Lapanta mention where that trio ranks in 5v5 goals/60 among the entire NHL? And that was before they scored again tonight.

If only they had Rossi though.

AK Guy

I mute the game when he’s doing color. Can he just take a breath? Maybe Anthony likes taking a night off when Wes is in the booth.

CaptainMusky

I used to like Walz, but now I just cannot tolerate him. He is like Tony Romo on steroids.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Good lord its like a home game in the desert… snowbirds picked the right time to leave Minnesota…

Well. Its only a 5,000 capacity arena too. Doesn’t take much.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wow, Columbus fired their GM…

Laine trade hasn’t paid off, but at least he got rid of DuBois with it…

CaptainMusky

I kinda figured the writing would be on the wall for him once John Davidson was hired. I mean, Jarmo was the one who hired Babcock for crying out loud.

tswoboda

I think it’s crazy that JD is the one who originally hired Jarmo before he left for NYR. And now comes back to Columbus and fires the guy he hired 10+ years ago.

Jarmo had a good 6/7 year run in Columbus but the last 3 years of this “competitive rebuild” or whatever they tried calling it have been a disaster. Agree the writing was on the wall, and this was overdue. I’ll always remember him for keeping UFA Bob and Panarin when he should have traded them, then going all in trading 2 firsts for Duchene and knocking off SWEEPING Juggernaut Tampa in the 1st round.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Did you hear Lapanta mention where that trio ranks in 5v5 goals/60 among the entire NHL? And that was before they scored again tonight

indeed I did…I wasn’t sure if I heard him say only 5-5 goals or not?
    Two of those goals 5-5 goals they scored in the Vegas game were Ek’s goal that scored 1 second after a Powerplay expired and Boldy’s goal that was the result of Hartman dumping the puck in on a line change that Boldy banked off the goalie (Ek just jumped over the boards when it was scored and wasn’t even in the zone)

so yeah, Panther likes to make stats look great for the Wild on the telecasts…some of the ones he showed and talked about during our long losing streak were just gross (I think one was how the Wild outshot their opponents X amount in 2nd periods the past X amount of games)

no doubt the team is playing really well and with confidence right now…We haven’t seen these versions of Kirill and Boldy all season…We’ve seen short spurts like this many times over the past few seasons, hopefully these 3 games isn’t another one of those…

This team is also getting some much owed puck luck lately (Kirill’s questionable puck left the rink goal vs Pittsburgh, Boldy and Brodin’s goals were deflections last night)

tswoboda

indeed I did…I wasn’t sure if I heard him say only 5-5 goals or not?
    Two of those goals 5-5 goals they scored in the Vegas game were Ek’s goal that scored 1 second after a Powerplay expired and Boldy’s goal that was the result of Hartman dumping the puck in on a line change that Boldy banked off the goalie (Ek just jumped over the boards when it was scored and wasn’t even in the zone)

Yes it was 5v5, they are 2nd behind only the Jets top line. I’ll go check the Manitoba Fishing Forums to see who is auditing that line’s goals making sure they are all legit 5v5 and can be counted towards the total. I bet their auditor will inform me how much better that line would be with Cole Perfetti on it.

We haven’t seen these versions of Kirill and Boldy all season…We’ve seen short spurts like this many times over the past few seasons, hopefully these 3 games isn’t another one of those…

I think I remember a man once saying it’s the center’s job to elevate the play of his wingers, right? hah

In all seriousness though Boldy is unconscious right now… PP, 5v5, doesn’t matter, everything is going straight to the net. He’s never shot the puck this much before, his heater last year was driven by 1/3 of his shots going in. Now he’s just firing 15 shot attempts a night, it’s insane.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I mean technically for NHL stat purposes they are correct, but in reality is a goal scored 1 second after a PP ends a 5-5 or PP goal? All numbers can be pushed and pulled to make ones point, but i’ll agree the 1st line and the rest of the team are definitely passing the eye test right now, I certainly didn’t expect them to win their last 3 games…

tswoboda

I mean technically for NHL stat purposes they are correct, but in reality is a goal scored 1 second after a PP ends a 5-5 or PP goal? All numbers can be pushed and pulled to make ones point, but i’ll agree the 1st line and the rest of the team are definitely passing the eye test right now, I certainly didn’t expect them to win their last 3 games…

Are you going through every goal that Jets line scores to make sure they’re all up to your standards? It’s raw NHL data, no hometown bias. The only fair way to compare all 32 teams without bias, and currently the Kaprizov-Ek-Boldy line ranks as the 2nd best goal scoring line in the whole league. Personally, I think that’s pretty impressive.

Also, do we have a potential #1 seed for the preposterous statement bracket? On the 2nd best scoring line in the NHL:

I wouldn’t mind it at all if it worked, but they just don’t generate much offense 5-5

JoeMX1825
    MN

it’s 3 friggin games…

Attachments:
    1. denny.png

Viewing 30 posts - 3,451 through 3,480 (of 5,507 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.