2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

So why are Bedard & Crosby on the ice?

Ripjiggen

Not sure what this question even means but why are you wasting time watching an all star skills competition.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Only the 16 players participating in the skills competition are dressed and on the ice with the exception of Bedard and Crosby who are awkwardly just sitting and watching on the ice… makes no sense…

Watching with my 7 year old who’s waiting to see some “sick moves” he can try in practice this weekend…

Pretty sure Kucherov is completely hammered on the ice just going through the motions in each event and is getting loudly booed by the crowd…

JoeMX1825
    MN

Declan Chisholm isn’t practicing today due to Work Visa issues (per Russo) Hard to believe its takes 8+ days to get the work visa issue resolved after we claimed him, I wonder if this is another instance of not having the proper internal operations guys around?

CaptainMusky

Wouldnt they need one to even play in the US regardless if the team was based here? Seems odd.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Interesting that the NHL is granting salary cap relief to the teams that had players who were arrested as part of the Canada WJC Sexual Assault case but wont for teams that have players enter into the Player Assistance Program or other legit reasons…

I just dont get how decisions like this make it through the likely multiple approval processes?

tswoboda

You’re mad alleged rapists don’t count against their team’s salary cap? Players getting arrested is obviously different than players getting mental health support.

Guys in the Players Assistance program can go on LTIR. They’re injured.

JoeMX1825
    MN

No I get that, I should have been more clear in that the official wording and lack of an explanation is what I’m surprised about… you go into the comments section for the story and its nothing but complaining about the Salary cap relief…

Kind of missed in the report is that Canada is barring ALL players from that team from playing internationally for Canada for Life… that team included Cale Makar and Robert Thomas…

tswoboda

Comments sections are the taint of the internet, highly recommend staying away… unless you really like to be outraged at people being outraged, or not being outraged enough. The NHL is taking a pretty hands off approach with the whole situation and it’s tough to blame them or fault them for that. Remember Bettman and Bill Daly’s native language is still Lawyerese. Sure looks like these players are just gonna go away and be forgotten, as they should be.

The other players not banned from Team Canada for life and it’s not all international tournaments, just suspended for the time being and only from IIHF events. They’re already eligible for the 4 nations cup next year and I guarantee it’s settled in time for Makar to play in the 2026 Olympics.

CaptainMusky

Yurov is like 1 pt away from typing Tarasenko’s record. That kid is going to be a load.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yurov is like 1 pt away from typing Tarasenko’s record. That kid is going to be a load.

yep, 1 point behind with 7 games left in the KHL regular season (although breaking it earlier would look better as he’s played more games than Terasenko did)

Byron Bader is another online NHL prospect guru (take that for what it is) and he had Stamkos, Bossy and Gaborik as the top comps to Yurov…just nice to see they feel that highly of him…

The Athletic guys are doing another NHL Team Prospect ranking right now, curious to see how high they are on Yurov??? My guess is the Wild ranks around 6-7th best pool (Depends if they include Faber or not) Rossi likely graduated…

wormdunker

Comments sections are the taint of the internet, highly recommend staying away…

This forum is a comment section.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Comments sections are the taint of the internet, highly recommend staying away…

This forum is a comment section.

I see some pretty major differences but if that’s your opinion then why are you here?

Ripjiggen

Bossy comparison. Oof. I hope he actually saw him play in person because that is some crazy talk there.
    He is still the all time gpg leader.

I mean Stamkos and Gabby should not even be in the same sentence as Bossy.

tswoboda

Byron Bader isn’t even a scout. He just developed a program that scrubs stats from elite prospects and then gives a prospect an “NHLer” and “Star” probability based solely on points per game in whatever league they’re playing in from age 17-22. So apparently Yurov’s points/game the last 3 years compares closely to whatever Bossy, Stamkos, and Gaborik did when they were 17-18-19-20 years old.

tswoboda

My favorite examples of his work. His charts say in the spring of 2022 Brock Faber had a 26% chance of making the NHL and 3% chance of becoming a star. At the same time Calen Addison had a 73% chance of becoming an NHLer and 56% of becoming a star.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240206_162403_X.jpg

2. Screenshot_20240206_162212_X.jpg

JoeMX1825
    MN

My favorite examples of his work. His charts say in the spring of 2022 Brock Faber had a 26% chance of making the NHL and 3% chance of becoming a star. At the same time Calen Addison had a 73% chance of becoming an NHLer and 56% of becoming a star.

of course there will be silly mistake examples of anybody breaking down player futures…to be fair to Bader, Faber was coming off a 2G & 12A sophomore season at the Gophers, his previous career high in points at any level past youth hockey was only 16 points…Addison had hype around him after 3 consecutive huge WHL scoring seasons then 2 good scoring seasons in Iowa and then the first 30 or so games last season when he was on a point scoring roll with the PP and in ROTY talks…

I think Bader’s player comps are heavily based on the current season and change often as I don’t remember those players being mentioned in the past for Yurov…

oh what difference a year makes though….

JoeMX1825
    MN

Blackhawks hosting the Winter Classic next year vs the Blues… a repeat of 2017… puke….

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Blackhawks hosting the Winter Classic next year vs the Blues… a repeat of 2017… puke….

Double puke. There should be a barfing emoji.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Ovi goals in consecutive games…

tswoboda

If you’re a goalie with McDavid and Draisaitl coming in 2 on 0, is the best move to just turn around and knock the net off?

CaptainMusky

Newsflash, Dillon with another dirty hit to the head last night. That is two in like the last 5 games.

JoeMX1825
    MN

If you’re a goalie with McDavid and Draisaitl coming in 2 on 0, is the best move to just turn around and knock the net off?

Attachments:
    1. IMG_6671.gif

JoeMX1825
    MN

The dreaded Central Time Zone bumped to 8:45pm start time National TV game…

I expect the guys to play well tonight, but keep in mind its the Blackhawks…

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Looks like Vegas finally ended the Oilers win streak. Halted at 16 games last night. Quite a run.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

As the rule stands right now, the answer is yes. Unless it was done with less than 2 minutes left in the game, in which case a penalty shot could be awarded (arguably still a better scenario than a 2-0 for the defending team) the worst case scenario would be a DoG penalty.

Since a goal cannot be scored on a dislodged net, there is no scenario possible where a goal could be scored on a delayed penalty. Play would have to be immediately whistled dead as soon as the net was pushed off.

It would certainly be an interesting scenario should it occur. Can you imagine the Oilers fans losing their minds?

Newsflash, Dillon with another dirty hit to the head last night. That is two in like the last 5 games.

Dollon is going to be receiving a warm welcome in St Paul during the last meeting with the Jets in April.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>

As the rule stands right now, the answer is yes. Unless it was done with less than 2 minutes left in the game, in which case a penalty shot could be awarded (arguably still a better scenario than a 2-0 for the defending team) the worst case scenario would be a DoG penalty.

Lol mostly tongue in cheek but yeah the penalty shot was my thinking, I like the odds of stopping a penalty shot from McD or Drai a lot more than a game speed 2-0 against them. I think awarding a goal is only done when the net is empty? And even that might be better to spare the embarrassment jester

CaptainMusky

Who was the goalie that was knocking the net off all the time last year accidentally on purpose?

tswoboda

What more can they do that hasn’t already been done?

Unpopular opinion in MN but the Jets don’t owe the Wild anything. Wild have been the way dirtier team over the last couple years. There’s a reason Bowness wanted to fight Evason last year.

Who was the goalie that was knocking the net off all the time last year accidentally on purpose?

Matt Murray for the Leafs lol he has since disappeared to wherever they keep the LTIR bodies along with Wild legends John Klingberg and Ryan Reaves

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Lol mostly tongue in cheek but yeah the penalty shot was my thinking, I like the odds of stopping a penalty shot from McD or Drai a lot more than a game speed 2-0 against them. I think awarding a goal is only done when the net is empty? And even that might be better to spare the embarrassment

It is interesting that pushing the net off the moorings does not qualify for a penalty shot under the penalty shot rule’s criteria. The only exception being if it occurs within the last 2 minutes of a game or in a situation where an additional penalty cannot be incurred by the defending team.

I’m sure it’s happened before but certainly not often enough that anyone has looked at changing the rule. It would be quite entertaining to see though.

Viewing 30 posts - 3,271 through 3,300 (of 5,361 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.