2022/2023 NHL/Wild Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• CaptainMusky

I’ve seen reported are about 70% of 1st rounders end up playing significant time (not just a few games here or there) in the NHL, that number drops to about 30% for 2nd rounders and about 10% for 3rd rounders…

What about 5th rounders? -)

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    I’ve seen reported are about 70% of 1st rounders end up playing significant time (not just a few games here or there) in the NHL, that number drops to about 30% for 2nd rounders and about 10% for 3rd rounders…

What about 5th rounders? -)

see my updated posting, the 5th round is an enigma, funny how Kaprizov is a poster child for it…

Ripjiggen

I know the numbers. I was talking more about the Mel Kiper talking heads/scouts. Who say he projects as a top 4 D man. Well I sure hope he he doesn’t project as a bottom 2 when drafted in the second round. I see him as very similar to Lambos and O’Rourke who I would also consider to be B level prospect at this point. Which is still very good. Just not talking a top 5 or even top 10 A level prospect for their draft class.

tswoboda

My super scientific draft pick value chart

Attachments:
    1. 20220630_114400.jpg

CaptainMusky

My super scientific draft pick value chart

Is there a bonafide pick value calculator for the draft? As in, to move up X spots it worth Y? I know the NFL has something like that, but cant recall ever seeing something for the NHL.

tswoboda

What do you mean? I just posted it jester

There’s no public tables like that as far as I know. Each team likely has their own charts but there’s just so few pick swaps at the NHL draft (compared to NFL or NBA) that there’s not much of demand for it from fans.

CaptainMusky

What do you mean? I just posted it

Ha! I know it cost the Wild a 3rd round pick to move up what 3 spots in the first to draft Wallstedt. So anything further than that would have to be hefty. Since we have multiple firsts and seconds it would be nice to bundle some of that together to see what can be had. Its kind of strange to go after Faber when BG has been so high on Addison. They are not the same player obviously, but both being right hand D definitely limits options, but we do not have too many of them.

tswoboda

Listening to GMBG just now on kfan there’s no doubt in my mind that the Kings deal was the only one the Fiala camp would accept and therefore completely handcuffed BillyG…

Russo confirmed this today – LA was the only team Fiala would sign a long term contract with.

He also said the Wild offered Nico Sturm a 5 year x $2.5m extension last year and he turned it down shock

CaptainMusky

He also said the Wild offered Nico Sturm a 5 year x $2.5m extension last year and he turned it down

Wow, never would have imagined him turning that down.

CaptainMusky

I just read that one of the experts thought it would take both 1st rounders to move into the top 10. That seems like a hefty price to me with no one really standing out in this draft.

JoeMX1825
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    Listening to GMBG just now on kfan there’s no doubt in my mind that the Kings deal was the only one the Fiala camp would accept and therefore completely handcuffed BillyG…

Russo confirmed this today – LA was the only team Fiala would sign a long term contract with.

He also said the Wild offered Nico Sturm a 5 year x $2.5m extension last year and he turned it down shock

not sure why GMBG would withhold that info unless it was at the request of the Fiala camp?? It makes the return he got look better knowing it was the only option and he was so handcuffed…

Dodged a bullet on that Sturm deal…

tswoboda

I’m sure Fiala and the other interested teams would all want to keep that under wraps. No GM wants it out there that they went hard for a trade but the player didn’t want to go to their team. Leafs GM Dubas was pist at the deadline when it leaked that they were in hard on Flower but he chose the Wild over the Leafs. Different situation with being a goalie and midseason, but I think generally the 31 other GMs want that kind of stuff kept hush hush. I see it as Guerin taking his lumps from the media to protect his relationships with other GMs.

tswoboda

Speaking of Flower… there’s no way he’s coming back next year. That ship has sailed.

CaptainMusky

Speaking of Flower… there’s no way he’s coming back next year. That ship has sailed.

You think so? Im not so sure. We will see. There are probably only a handful of teams he’d be willing to play for with Pittsburgh certainly one of them.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think Toronto will go hard after Flower offering his the best shot at getting to another Cup final…I think it depends if Geno and LeTang come back to Pittsburgh if he decides to go there to retire…I’d say the Wild are probably his 2nd choice based on the limited options he has for teams that need a goalie and are likely playoff bound…

CaptainMusky

Cop thought Bo Byram was a rogue fan that jumped the fence

LOL I just exactly watched that. Hilarious.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Well, credit to whomever in the other thread said prepare to be underwhelmed when it came to the Fiala trade. You called it.

Another defense prospect in an over-defensed team that lacks firepower. And a late R1 pick at 19 in a talent poor draft.

Now I’m not saying a better deal was possible. I totally agreed at the time that this was going to be an underwhelming trade and any ideas of a blockbuster trade that moved us up into the top five were totally fantasies.

But somebody tell me this is all part of a master plan to package multiple pics and prospects to move up or trade for some offense?

CaptainMusky

All things considered I think BG got good return for Fiala. It’s similar return to what Reinhart brought last year and that’s what the prognosticators felt was the best comparable.

Ripjiggen

They were 5th in whole NHL last year for goals for. 2 goals behind the cup champs and middle of the pack for goals against. So to say they don’t need defense isn’t exactly true. It wasn’t a trade for this coming season. I agree however most of there prospects are D.

They can’t trade for offense they have no money. Moving up may happen but you don’t exactly move 10 12 spots like the nfl.

tswoboda

Yeah trade both the 19 and 26 to MAYBE move up to pick #12 – no thanks. The defense prospect pool is jam packed, an embarrassment of riches B level prospects who should make the NHL. Adding another is a little peculiar.

A Russian kid drafted by Philly allegedly got arrested in Moscow today for “draft evasion” and got sent into their military. Not a great sign for Russian NHL players and prospects…

Ripjiggen

Agree I would rather have 2-3 shots to try and find some talent. Hopefully 1 of the 3 can make and impact in the future.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

While I’m not as big of a hockey fan as most of you regular posters, I try and watch as much as possible. But nothing in the regular season is as entertaining as all these cup celebration videos rotflol rotflol

Ice Cap

We really need to show Kaprizov something before his last year of his contract or he walks. After this year no Wild fan wants that to happen, but he isnt about himself, he is about team and would want to be on a contending team for sure. He has won it all at every level he has played. He certainly wants to win a Cup which is the toughest trophy in all of sports to win.

I agree. They need to be on the verge of winning a Cup or he will leave. Exactly the reason he wasn’t interested in a 8 year or longer term. He wanted options to be able to make sure he gave himself the best chance of winning that Cup. Not that he’s selfish and not a team first guy but he wants what everyone playing wants. His body language after the last game with the Blues was different than most of the other players.

Most guys were sitting on the bench with heads down on the dasher or skating on the ice with sticks on their knees. KK just looked pissed off. In what way who knows. Was he mad because he put up seven goals and hardly no one else showed up who knows? But yeah the Wild can’t still be looking for the right pieces at the end of his contract in four years and it’s not exactly going to be a easy thing for the Wild to accomplish in four years.

On Flower coming back I don’t see it. I heard he still wants to get paid probably more than what BG can give him. He said he’d consider Montreal but only if Cary Price is unable to play. Hearing some talk about Colorado taking a serious run at him.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Kaprizov signed the 5 year deal to ensure he could cash in on a max deal before he turns 30 (its kind of an unwritten mindset with agents and GM’s) Pretty much every young star follows that path, if he signed for 8 years he couldn’t resign again until he was 33 years old, no team is going to give a 33 year old a max 8 year deal…

He’s no different than any other young star that eventually turns into a UFA, they have control and most teams typically overpay a bit to keep their stars, I dont see the Wild being any different.

Ice Cap

Of course it’s about the payday as well but with KK I feel that is more important to the agent. KK came here to get the Cup I’m guessing he would be willing to take a lot less money for a real shot at the Cup with a legitimate contender before his career ends here. He has more money now than he and his family will ever need just on his playing contract. The marketing stuff hasn’t even really kicked in yet.

The Wild very well could be heading to be building a real Cup contender but I don’t see it happening during or immediately after this cap hell they are going to be living in for the next several seasons. So signing the shorter contract provides both scenarios for KK. Getting the pay day and having the option of moving on.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Just looking at the Wild’s young players, prospects and capspace AFTER the final year of caphell (Kirill’s final season of his 5 year deal) and the Wild looks like one of the better teams in the league on paper at least…

They will have a HUGE chunk of free capspace to spend on free agent/trades for forwards (with at least 4 of their Defense still on ELC contracts or just starting cheap bridge deals) likely the same for their starting goalie. Obviously these scenarios are wishful thinking, but at least it appears to be GMBG’s plan…

tswoboda

Last year we had the buyouts, 3 big ticket contract negotiations, and signing 17 UFA defenseman. This year it’s ‘Does Middelton sign for $2m or $2.5m’? Looks like they have $5.5m-$6m to sign Middelton, a goalie, and a 13th forward.

Now that Fiala is done it’s a pretty boring off-season for the Wild – Joe’s reckless speculation is going to have to carry this thread for 3 months after this weekend.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Yeah, After this weekend, the next 3 years will be boring from a player transaction standpoint….

It is what it is, at least we get to watch a 25 year old superstar get better and better and 2 young stud prospects finding their place in the league along with a boatload of prospects hopefully developing quickly, but there will be growing pains for sure…

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 7,320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.