2019 Fishing Reports

• Douger17

Hoping to get some reports on leech lake.

walleyewizard

Was up there last week. Fished Wednesday,Thursday,and Friday then the rain and cold moved in. Water temp was high 40’s to low 50’s, then started dropping again. As usual, caught fish when the wind blew. Fish ranged from 15” to 29” with some really nice 18”-19” keepers. Over half the fish were caught on jig and plastic with jig and shiner catching the rest. With warmer weather, they should really be snapping. Any wind blown points will do. Good luck!!

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Pretty similar report as wizard. Fished Portage bay last weekend, wasn’t hot and heavy but wasn’t bad either. Weren’t able to get shiners, but they didn’t seem too shy about fatheads both on a lindy and on a jig. Surprisingly we found a pocket of fish that only seemed to want leeches as well.

Jonesy

Heading up on Thursday for the weekend. How are things looking up there?

We are really hoping for a drift jig/pitch jig bite and a slip bobber bite on some reefs/shallows in the evening and night.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

I fished Wed – Sunday this past week, based off of Pine Point.

Bit rough while I was up – changing weather patterns made for a mixed bite. If there’s some decent weather this week I would expect that pattern to still work for you. Think Annex will certainly be on, as would most of the mid-lake reefs.

Our best walleye production came from slow trolling large cranks over rocky windblown points at night. Spinners with shiners worked on Sunday (calm, sunny day) in the 12-14 foot range in mid-morning.

If you are ok with mixing it up, we had very good pike fishing in Boy Bay on Sunday afternoon – the shallower waters were significantly warmer and we picked up 10 pike in 2 hours with a fast troll.

Jonesy

I fished Wed – Sunday this past week, based off of Pine Point.

Bit rough while I was up – changing weather patterns made for a mixed bite. If there’s some decent weather this week I would expect that pattern to still work for you. Think Annex will certainly be on, as would most of the mid-lake reefs.

Our best walleye production came from slow trolling large cranks over rocky windblown points at night. Spinners with shiners worked on Sunday (calm, sunny day) in the 12-14 foot range in mid-morning.

If you are ok with mixing it up, we had very good pike fishing in Boy Bay on Sunday afternoon – the shallower waters were significantly warmer and we picked up 10 <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike in 2 hours with a fast troll.

Thanks for the reply. This is kind of what I was hoping to not hear lol. Don’t like trolling but will do it if needed. We were up 10 days earlier last year and the best part of the trip was the slip bobbers.

Been going to leech in the fall for 15 years and have a ton of confidence. Have almost none in the spring lol

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

I’m with you – don’t really love trolling, but it can be a great approach during the dark.

If you get a decent couple of days weather wise Annex or the reefs should be hopping for the slip bobber approach. I think many other boats were expecting similar (probably 45-50 boats on Annex on Saturday night last weekend).

Jonesy

I’m with you – don’t really love trolling, but it can be a great approach during the dark.

If you get a decent couple of days weather wise Annex or the reefs should be hopping for the slip bobber approach. I think many other boats were expecting similar (probably 45-50 boats on Annex on Saturday night last weekend).

Thats always funny to me as there are so many other reefs in that area that produce fish also. I fished one a little bit south of annex last year and our boat boated 7 fish. We were the only ones on that reef that night.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

Yeah… I try not to talk about those other spots… but sounds like you know about those. There’s a lot of mid-lake reef structure and there’s no reason not to poke around.

One note that I forgot to mention, big fish fly hatch started last Sunday.

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

Jonesy,

How was the bite? Did you find a pattern that worked for you?

Osty

Anyone have any reports as of late? Trying to figure out if Jig is the way to go or Leeches? Going to be heading up next week, the week of the 10th? Any ideas??

Jeff mattingly
    Lonsdale, Mn

Quick report… 6/4-6/8
    Didn’t get out as much as I wanted. I stayed at pine point. I feel like the fish are on transition. Seen people dragging jigs and shiners, Lindy rig and shiner or leech. Bobber fishing. I tried leeches, but never had any luck. Caught everything on shiners. I caught walleyes on pine point dragging jigs, most productive was lighted bobbers after dark. (Probably because the other 30 boats left by then). I had a good wind coming into big stoney and caught a 25 1/2 incher with a jig and shiner, but that was it. Had a morning bite between 1st and 2nd duck up in the tallest weeds I could find in 8 to 9 feet, pulling jigs and shiners. Best action came on the edge of goose flats last night 11-13 feet drifting with a Lindy rig and shiner just before dark. I picked up a nice limit of eaters their. Northerns were easy to come by especially if your keeping the 22 inch and under for pickled pike. White spinner baits in suckers bay past 3rd duck. Never hit the reefs on the main lake for walleye. I heard deadwood for good perch, and people were bringing in some crappies(unknown where). Hope that helps some people

Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

Talked to my FIL last night – he’s up on Pine Point. Crawlers on bottom bouncers producing off of Duck Point. Trolling along at 2 -2.25 mph. IIRC he said 10-13ft.

Bartman

I fished there as late as two days ago. Caught a few on shiners but the bite was better on leeches and crawlers on Lindy rigs.
    Fished the usual spots like West Goose, Pine Point and Little Hardwoods. Fishing on Middle Stony was good as well. Fished in water between 10 and 18 feet but shallower was better.
    Fish were moving and one spot did not produce for long. Also, the early bird gets the fish.

Douger17

Fished Sat with the wind blowing into Horseshoe Bay, Lindy’s with Leeches worked well. Drift sock was mandatory.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.