2018 WX2060 dry land impressions

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I’m leaning towards a new ride for 2019, so am starting to explore options now. I had a chance to climb around inside both a 2017 and a 2018 WX2060 model this weekend to compare the changes for the new version.

I really liked most of the changes in the 2018 model:
    + both the front deck and cockpit feel bigger (narrower gunnels? wider further forward?)
    + the front deck feels closer to the water
    + sliding/removable cup holders in cockpit
    + center jumpseat is entirely removable; bigger storage replacing the old jump seats
    + smaller splashwell for a cleaner look
    + more anglular interior looks better

I disliked some of the choices they made for the 2018:
    – radio on passenger side (prefer the bluetooth-only radio, if not, should be driver-accessible)
    – sectional cockpit carpet (if it’s in, i want it covering everything possible; looks Larson-y)
    – jumpseat handle location off to the sides (seriously?)
    – starboard cockpit rod storage: interior supports are a single piece of material with the external trim making it much much harder (or impossible?) to remove them as you can do now; i prefer a wide-open storage bin versus this 2-rod-only design

Will need to get a test-drive at some point. Anybody know a place? ;-)

gregl2017

The side rod storage is not my favorite either.. I can’t figure out why they would make it for only 2 rods.

Didn’t last year’s model have storage for nice long trolling rods there?

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I do ! LOL Rigged and ready anytime you are ! Pool 4 awaits !

Interesting points you mentioned Mike. The feedback so far has been interesting and varies from existing Skeeter owners and 1st time Skeeter shoppers.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

There are things I like and dislike about the new 2060 compared to the old version.

I love the rear storage now!!! But I dislike the new seat they have. I went with the old version due to price and the fact that my daughter with a disability will be better seated in the old style jump seat.

I also like the larger deck but I don’t deck fish anymore so that’s not a big deal to me. What I do like is the slots to lay rods on the deck. I am going to put retractable straps so I can lay rods on the rod locker.

I dislike the new storage in the new passenger side. A lot smaller.

But the performance on the new ones is obviously better by a few MPH.

If they could find a way to integrate the old style jump seats into the new design, and the things that just changed in my career for the better. I might have purchased the 2018 version.

But I like them both either way and will enjoy my 2017.

gregl2017

I was impressed the with wx2190 I spent the day in. My eye is on the wx2060 for sure! I’m not a professional angler, but am crazy about fishing. This seems like the perfect boat for a guy like me.

The 3 features I’d like to see changed are:
    1) I really dislike the side road storage as well.
    – Should be like wx2190 or warrior v208.
    – min length supported 12′ trolling rods
    2) Change the middle rod storage to wide open again covered in carpet! Loose
    the tubes, not a deal breaker but my preference.
    – I think that lends to more versatile storage options, with even 2
    tubes now you can just store rods

3) Lose the radio, this definitely is not a big deal as you can just not turn
    on.

The new back seat works for me as I rarely have more than 2 or 3 in my boat. That will probably change when I get a fancy big glass boat HAHA!

I’m a year or 2 from buying one, we just finished building a garage for her, so the plan is in the works! Maybe skeeter will hear us. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME!

I really hope I can sit in one at the annual fishing show close to me this weekend but I doubt there will be one there. Dealers in our area are terrible at stocking anything! Oh and good luck finding one willing to give you a test ride! Which I find absurd, when you are spending close to 100g! Which is what they are worth here in Ontario.

This is why I will make the 20-hour drive to Dean and his shop. When we are ready )

Dean, I never got a chance to thank you for working with me over the phone to try and get me into that 2190 last year! Just wasn’t in the cards yet, but will be soon!!

Larson

I hope and pray they go with a u-shaped Ranger style storage in the back,.
    I hate tubes in a rod locker, rod socks and fit as many as you can is easier and
    better, in my opinion.

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Does anybody know the inside height from the floor to the rear deck? (without the seat)
    Thanks!

David Blais

I hate tubes in a rod locker, rod socks and fit as many as you can is easier and
    better, in my opinion.

If they do, make them removable. Its nice for 2 guys fishing. Anything more then that. It gets tight

Jonesy

better, in my opinion.

One of the worst features of a Ranger IMO. Eats up so much room in the cockpit and they also dont have a seat post on the transom like skeeter does.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.