2018 Impact XS- Trolling motor Reinforncement

• KPE
    River Falls, WI

Anyone else with an impact XS notice the wobbly trolling motor? I think my dealer may have mounted up the plate with some really weak hardware, the screws are very thin and I’ve had to tighten them up once already. I’m thinking of adding a reinforcement plate underneath the bow, probably a 1/16″ aluminum sheet or something to that effect. Anyone else do this or have problems in that area?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Most boats that I have installed trolling motors on have had a 3/4″ carpeted marine board up front that was secure. Any pics would help

Red Eye

Bolt it. Should not be screwed to the bow. Screws will loosen.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Sorry I miscommunicated here, It’s bolted, but very thin bolts. Not very sturdy IMO. Yes, the ply appears to be 3/4″ which is good but there’s still quite a bit of flex here which is why I’m questioning it. Maybe just adding some big fender washers and going up a bolt size would help?

Really just wondering if anyone else has noticed flex in theirs. My previous boat had no flex but also some massive 1/2″ bolts. The ones on this tm are more like 1/4

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Should be countersunk stainless steel bolts with nylon lock nuts. If they are regular nuts they might be loosening due to vibration. I’ve had that problem on my old Lund.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

Just bolted up a Terrova on a Lund today with 4 – 1/4″ bolts, fender washers, nylock nuts and rock solid. Can you tell where the flex is coming from, plywood or motor frame?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Going to swap out the nuts for Nylocks. When I reached under to tighten them during walleye opener, I didn’t bother to check if they even used lock washers. They did not. Nylocks should solve it

thanks

kro22

Big flat fender washers would not hurt either. I’ve done this in the past on a couple different boats.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

That’s the plan now, Fender washers and nylocks. Should snug it up nicely.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

I would use the largest diameter bolts that fit through the TM.
    They made the holes that size for a reason.
    I use large washers and nylock nuts as well.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Bolts are as big as they can be already, which is about 3/4ths the size of the bolts in my old TM. Not sure why they made the holes so much smaller.

Anyway, fender washers and Nylock nuts added. Still has some flex to it, but I guess it will be unavoidable until I replace my entire front deck with Aluminum in the distant future.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.