1st attempt – hickory smoked beef jerky

• Deleted

1st try , Looks like a winner. So happy with the flavor and can’t wait to do it again. 15# trimmed top round, wet brined & cured then smoked 5 hrs .

Attachments:
    1. 5D5E8C29-36EF-47F6-A06B-A6435C84623F.jpeg

2. 69FE00D6-4EAD-49A1-87CC-F161CA3A6558.jpeg

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ll send you a PM with a shipping address. For testing purposes. Gotta keep it impartial…. devil

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Very nice, looks awesome.
    Who did the slicing, you or the butcher? Those look like some perfect 1/4 inch slabs of jerky! I’ve always cut mine semi-frozen, but don’t have a slicer so larger pieces like that are a challenge.

Many moons ago I used to stop at a small place on Hwy 27 in Cadott WI and they had some slab jerky they was ultra thin but so good. Every time thru (which was a lot for a couple of years) I’d grab a half pound for the road and it never lasted long!!

Deleted

I put it in the freezer for a couple hours to firm it up, then used a slicer here at the house. 1/4” is exactly what I did. This could get to be a regular thing. The wife has already threatened harm to me if I give it all away like I have done with other smoked goods.

Polak

Don’t bother stopping at that place in Cadott anymore..it is now an insurance office

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The wife has already threatened harm to me if I give it all away like I have done with other smoked goods.

I think you’ll find out that good jerky like you’ve got there is like good beer in the fridge in the garage….you’ll find you have way more friends you didn’t know you had when the word gets out.

haleysgold
    SE MN

What brand and flavor did you use for the brine?
    Looks Delish!

Deleted

Scratch recipe for the brine.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I put it in the freezer for a couple hours to firm it up, then used a slicer here at the house. 1/4” is exactly what I did. This could get to be a regular thing. The wife has already threatened harm to me if I give it all away like I have done with other smoked goods.

You’ve got a good system there, lots of great jerky in your future!!

Don’t bother stopping at that place in Cadott anymore..it is now an insurance office

I figured it was long gone. It was over 30 years ago when I’d hit it up on my trips between Eau Claire and Ladysmith.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

5 hours? My wet brine jerky takes alllllllll day. What temp did you smoke at?
    I love hickory. I learned the hard way you can oversmoke with it!

Deleted

5 hours? My wet brine jerky takes alllllllll day. What temp did you smoke at?
    I love hickory. I learned the hard way you can oversmoke with it!

Started at 175 degrees for first 3 hrs

Kept rotating racks each hour for those first 3

Kicked up to 190-200 degrees
    for last 2

Only used 2 or 3 split hickory pieces. Most of my heat came from the propane.

Flipped each piece over every 30 minutes for those last 2 hrs

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Sure sounds good. I need to make some next week. One of my tricks for brine is to add a small can of unsweetened pineapple juice. It gives it a nice mellow tangy sweet kick. I wish I knew more about dry rubs but I dont make it often enough. The only time I tried making it with rub I ruined the whole batch using the cure incorrectly so I am gun shy to try again.

Art Green
    Brookfield,WI

Dry curing and then smoking is the way to go. All that extra wet bone moisture just makes it take longer to dry out as it smokes.

lrott2003
    Wisconsin

I have not had much luck with smoker for Jerky. Anyone use smoker to start and then put in dehydrator to finish?

Deleted

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Thomas Nichols wrote:</div>
    Scratch recipe for the brine.

Willing to share??

I don’t want to just post it here but I would share it. I tried to send it to you in a pm but not sure if it went. Let me know if you didn’t get it. I can’t wait to try this on venison this winter.

James Almquist

I have not had much luck with smoker for Jerky. Anyone use smoker to start and then put in dehydrator to finish?

I have used my Brinkman charcoal smoker with excellent results. My go to is High Mountain Pepper Blend for a cure. I only use about 1/2 full of charcoal with the Weber charcoal starter can thingy and then throw in some Hickory chunks when the coals get going. After 1 hour I swap the racks and flip the pieces at the same time. At 2 hours I check to see if they are done and most times they are ready to cool down.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I use charcoal and put about three hours of coolish smoke on the jerky. I don’t do the ground meat stuff, only cut muscle, and its cut every bit of 1/4″ so after three hours I allow it to cool in the smoker cabinet, then move it to the oven where I crack the door and set the heat at 190. I switch racks and pans every hour or so and when the thick pieces “feel” the way I like them I kill the heat and let it all cool again with the door closed this time. When its completely cool I vacuum pack it in half pound packages. I do 25 pounds at a time. I use Waltons Colorado seasoning and cure.

I like smoke on the jerky but I don’t like it tasting like a fire pit. To make the smoke I use a couple pieces of apple and a couple pieces hickory or cherry and hickory, all chunks, wrapped in two layers of heavy duty foil with the shiny side in. I place two of these smoke bombs on the charcoal when its fully hot. These last about 1 and 3/4 hours as does the charcoal, and at this point I add more charcoal and two more bombs. When this round is finished I pull the charcoal and start the cooling inside the unit, then its off to the oven.

As a bonus, when I am finished with the smoke bombs, I unwrap them and have the best ever charcoal to use in the grill….way better than Kingsford.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.