1 dead

• MNdrifter

Hope fishinpole from The other fishing site is alright. I think that’s the resort he works at?

mattgroff

My buddy was one of the officers that responded to the call. He said it was bad.

the better half
    Champlin, MN

http://www.kare11.com/news/crime/man-held-in-fatal-resort-assault/197051112

Man held in fatal resort assault

MILACA, Minn. – A Twin Cities man is charged with four felonies, including first degree manslaughter, after a punch killed a man at a Mille Lacs Lake resort early Saturday.

Prosecutors say 44-year-old David Michael Stay of Brooklyn Park assaulted a customer at Hunters Point Resort around 1 a.m. for no apparent reason. Deputies were dispatched to the resort and upon arrival found 46-year-old David Taute being loaded inside an ambulance. Several heavily intoxicated men said that Taute had been punched by David Stay and knocked out. The victim had not regained consciousness.

Taute was airlifted to North Memorial Medical Center but never regained consciousness. He was pronounced dead in the emergency room at 4:10 a.m.

Deputies found Stay walking down the road and approached him. The defendant reportedly told them “I knocked him out.” Stay said he wasn’t sure exactly what the altercation was about, but insisted he was being pushed. He told investigators that he became scared when Taute didn’t get up and ran off.

Videotape of the altercation did not support Stay’s version of the events. It appears that Taute did not provoke, push, touch, or attempt to make contact with Stay in any manner.

When questioned again Stay admitted he was not cornered and could have walked away from the victim at any point. While Stay smelled of alcohol all deputies in contact with him say he was talking clearly, did not have balance issues while walking and appeared to be in full control of his functions.

big_g
    Isle, MN

luckily we stayed back at the compound…. heard about it up there…..bad deal. crazy

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

that poor guy! could happened to anyone. hope this scumbag gets life

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

So an unprovoked assault? Was this a case of ‘that guy’ who has a couple and just has to start a fight?

Josh Bothum

What a wasted life over nothing…pretty sad stuff. It’s reading stories like this that I’m glad I’ve been sober for a couple days short of 19 months…

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

No doubt alcohol played a part in it, I just think that at times that excuse is used to often.
    Is it more of a complete lack of Morals? How do you cope if your Moral compass has spun out of control.
    Lock him up and throw away the key.

mattgroff

rumor has it the assaulter has a ice house up that way that he camps in. and causes trouble often at the bars.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I read an article that when the cops found the murderer walking along the road he was NOT stumbling or slurring his speech. What a POS. I wish we could just “remove” some people from society. They deserve nothing and offer nothing.

CaptainMusky

I read an article that when the cops found the murderer walking along the road he was NOT stumbling or slurring his speech. What a POS. I wish we could just “remove” some people from society. They deserve nothing and offer nothing.

he also had a lengthy arrest record full of assaults, etc. Piece of trash.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Unfortunally he will probably get 1-3 years. Heck you kill a family driving while texting and you get probation.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Posted bail and out on the street already.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

What a wasted life over nothing…pretty sad stuff. It’s reading stories like this that I’m glad I’ve been sober for a couple days short of 19 months…

Way to go, keep it up man! applause waytogo

Joel VandeKrol
    Ankeny, IA

Unfortunally he will probably get 1-3 years. Heck you kill a family driving while texting and you get probation.

Not even close to the same scenario… That would be negligent and accidental.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gizmoguy wrote:</div>

Someone who is in the field (Cop/Lawyer…) give an idea what this P.O.S. will get??? He admitted to punching him and by all accounts it was clearly unprovoked. Could have been any of us…RR

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

that poor guy! could happened to anyone.

Not unless you’re at a bar at 1:00 am. Something I used to practice but gave up years ago. I learned if you’re still at bar at a 1:00, how are you going to get home?, and how are you going to feel the next day? No good answers for either of those. As radio personality Joe Soucheray quoted ” nothing goods happens when you are out after midnight” Not trying to judge anyone here, I have learned the hard way but I wasn’t killed either. Very sad for the victim and his family. Something you’d not expect especially at a place like Hunter’s. Not a good deal for them either. sad

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

Someone who is in the field (Cop/Lawyer…) give an idea what this P.O.S. will get??? He admitted to punching him and by all accounts it was clearly unprovoked. Could have been any of us…RR

Not in the field but this article shows what others have received for similar incidents. This guy may get a little bit more for it being unprovoked and a past history of this crap but I wouldn’t expect to much more. Hopefully they can find some case law where they can charge him with a more serious crime than manslaughter.

Heck, the guy that punched Isaac Kolstad received 5 months and that was also a shame knowing what Isaac had to go through after his injury.

Article

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I understand what you are saying, but this guy could of knocked you out at 7:00 pm at Walleye Dundees having supper. POS is a POS is a POS….. no matter what time it is.

I am sorry you couldn’t handle your alcohol. There are many who can and do and make responsible choices even at 1:00 AM…

This could have been his (victim) first night out in 2 years! He did not make the wrong choice by being out with family and friends on a special night for many Minnesotans.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Huntingforwalleyes…. every case is different. Isaac was part of the fight though. It sounds like this victim was not. however, the kid that did blind side Isaac was a POS with priors as well. I know because I can throw a rock from my house to his parents’ (the POS) house.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

joe-winter I say throw the rock, maybe POS is there and you’d knock him out…RR

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gizmoguy wrote:</div>

Both are the result of an action deamed “against the law”. Both result in an unintenitional death. Unintentional = accidental. Hitting someone with a car is somehow less than a fist?

big_g
    Isle, MN

Does being at a bar at 1:00 AM mean you have to be tanked ? ??? (The guys fish house was 100 yards away in the park) Not sure how you or Soucheray reached that conclusion, maybe that was your rules way back when…. smirk it could happen at noon as Joe said… shock Those who get on the pulpit to preach, just have a little farther to fall. tongue

patk
    Nisswa, MN

At this point we’re all assuming it’s unprovoked. While that may very well be the case, it’s still an assumption.

We have no idea what was or was not said. Did the victim say something threatening? The security footage is reported to show no physical provocation but doesn’t have audio.

Without knowing all the facts should we convict someone in the court of public opinion?

Here’s a very possible but admittedly improbable scenario:
    Bad words are exchanged between victim and pos in the bar. Outside the victim says “I’m going to hurt/kill/knife/etc you”. POS responds by defending himself with a punch.

Posting to make people think…

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Does being at a bar at 1:00 AM mean you have to be tanked ? ??? (The guys fish house was 100 yards away in the park) Not sure how you or Soucheray reached that conclusion, maybe that was your rules way back when…. smirk it could happen at noon as Joe said… shock Those who get on the pulpit to preach, just have a little farther to fall. tongue

As I said in my post “Not trying to judge anyone here”, and I cannot prove whether they were all drunk or all sober. Statistically, these events are far more likely to occur at bar close than at noon. The account of this occurrence says there were “Several heavily intoxicated men said that Taute had been punched by David Stay and knocked out. The victim had not regained consciousness.” the article states. The Kolstad case involved alcohol infused behavior late at night. I am not the “preacher” either, just another member of the congregation!

I am sorry you couldn’t handle your alcohol. There are many who can and do and make responsible choices even at 1:00 AM…

Sorry, I disagree…you tell me how many can make responsible choices with their alcohol at 1:00 am. If you’ve ever been there just take a look around, you cannot tell me they all are sipping pop until closing time.
    Again I am not judging the “players” in this incident as some others’ already have. Just my observation on another sad ending.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve been I bars many, many times at 1AM and drinking nothing but pop. Sober driver here. I’ve seen to it that friends and family members having a good time also have a safe time. I’ve also seen seemingly sober people in bars pull some amazingly stupid stunts, fighting being one of the stunts. I wasn’t at this fiasco and I don’t know the person who hit the other, but the news reports I have read/heard indicate that this guy has a lengthy history of assaults with the law enforcement. Was he drinking at each episode? Who knows. Who cares. Its people with assaultive tendencies that should be banned from the bars and have “no-drink” orders placed on them by the courts. The bar is as much to blame as the alcohol, if he had any. Because he was known by the bar he should have been stopped from being there in the first place. I have a feeling that this bar is going to feel this one in the checkbook and well it should for allowing a known hot head like this to be in the midst of paying patrons who only want to have a fun night out.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Nevermind!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

While the news reports don’t look good lets not rush to judgement until the legal stuff happens.

Instead lets send our thoughts and prayers to the families and friends of the poor soul who lost his life so needlessly.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.