Webstaff – a couple more questions about the site

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’ve been trying to follow along on other questions/Answers so that this doesn’t begin to be redundant. I couldn’t find these:

* Notifications – I couldn’t find any settings that allow for an online/screen notification similar to what we had. Email notices are working great, but the on-screen icon works better when online

* In the Group forums – posting pictures with comments. I don’t see a browse button to add a pic. Do we need to use an off site link like a {img link to Photobucket?

*As I have gone back to a few older posts, I see pictures that had been associated to a post are gone or reduced to one image. Will this remain this way?

Thanks James – Oh, one last question Now that your this deep into the new site – which is more stressful? Chasing an ice bite in -35degrees and back to back cold fronts or managing the migration? Hats off to you guys. I know what it takes and this was not an easy task. Very well done and looking forward to the few minor tweaks as we move along!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Well, I can’t answer your last question…but..

* Notifications- there isn’t any settings for this. The dev team is working on it.

* In the Group forums (photos)- I’m going out on a limb here and guessing adding an image upload to the groups will be down the road a bit. Using the IMG bbcode will allow photos held on another server to be used (including Ido’s server).

*As I have gone back to a few older posts, I see pictures that had been associated to a post are gone or reduced to one image. Will this remain this way?

I’m not sure where this is at on the list. I know the dev team is aware of it.

Hope that helps Randy. )

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I figured if I needed to ask, there were others with the same question. Thanks Briank

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

When do they expect to fix the major issues? Site is still virtually unusable for me. At least unbearable. I will check again tomorrow.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Well, the original release date was December. What does that tell you about when they will be fixed? James has asked for patience in the coming weeks as they clean up the issues.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

When do they expect to fix the major issues? Site is still virtually unusable for me. At least unbearable. I will check again tomorrow.

….X2

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The worst issue is just maneuvering the site. It took 20 seconds to pull up the fishing forums. Then 10 seconds to hit General then another 10 to access this post. Nobody has time for that slow of a speed. Is it possibly my PC? I’m running IE11 and don’t have this issue anyplace else.
    Really looking forward to this working on my Droid. Otherwise I have no access all next week while on vacation.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

OK I got in on my Droid. That is good. I still get the delay on that device too.

big_g
    Isle, MN

it is slow, but is getting faster it seems ???? not sure what the fix is, but it seems everyday to open a little faster….. this is on my home pc and work pc, no difference. if your using IE8 forget it…. )

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I haven’t been following all the threads but I haven’t had a lick of lag flipping between pages here. Both at home and at work – using Google Chrome.

I also had a few questions, some of which Randy asked already.

When viewing a thread that is multiple pages, will there be an option to view all posts in one page like the last site?

Classifieds – Will there be any? Free and/or Paid?

Really miss the new threads on the side, but I know you guys are working on that. I feel like I missing everything without that! )

Pete

vern
    Richfield, MN

I haven’t been following all the threads but I haven’t had a lick of lag flipping between pages here. Both at home and at work – using Google Chrome.

I just switched from IE10 to Chrome & it’s much faster!

big_g
    Isle, MN

I use CHROME and IE10 I think at work and they are both equally slow. Like after I SUBMIT this post, it will take at least 10-15 seconds for anything to happen.

Robb McMahon

IE is a joke…use chrome. Much better for me anyway. Sounds like they are still up in the air on classifieds Pete. And… I didn’t realize how much I liked the “latest posts” on the top left of the homepage. But damn I miss that.

jerry b
    western WI

Something I’ve noticed regularly (for me anyway) is that the lag time is much greater once I’m logged in than it is when I’m lurking along thru the forums. There’s another thing or two but I’m sure the guys are pretty busy putting out the fires they have without starting any more- – -jerr

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

I was noticing things being a little slow also, after reading this thread I switched over and opened with chrome and it is much faster.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Something I’ve noticed regularly (for me anyway) is that the lag time is much greater once I’m logged in than it is when I’m lurking along thru the forums.

That’s a good catch and well detailed if it is true (I personally haven’t tested it). That’s the kind of information that is going to help them. It’s much better than it’s slow or not working.

desperado

looks like this in my ie8 browser

yes, I know IE sucks
    I use chrome at home
    but IE is the only choice at the office

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

If something doesn’t work right on IE then it doesn’t work right. Changing browsers for one single website is not the solution. When something isn’t broken I don’t fix it……

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Edit: BK you need to be nice to Suzuki.

)

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I use chrome and the only thing slow is my computor!
    I have good luck with the change over.Is there no icons any more?
    Stan

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

If something doesn’t work right on IE then it doesn’t work right. Changing browsers for one single website is not the solution. When something isn’t broken I don’t fix it……

Yes, they should support IE6 too!

IE is the worst thing to happen to the internet. It has wasted countless hours and man time. The world would be a better place if IE would just disappear.

If nothing else, people should be using the latest version, I believe 11. At least in newer versions they at least make an attempt to support the protocols and standards every other browser has been supporting…and supporting correctly.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Maybe I’ll try something else in the near future. The last time there were speed issues on this site I was talked into loading Firefox. That didn’t fix things and caused me a lot of grief. They then figure out their problem and it worked fine on my IE. I have v11 btw. When there is only one website causing issues with my PC I don’t think my pc is the problem.
    I counted 57 seconds from Desktop to this reply box.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Why did installing Firefox cause you grief? I have all three installed, well I have to as a developer. I will say (again) that IE has finally caught up and adhered to standards making my life easier. However I’ll only use it when I have to. It’s bloated.

I just did a basic test of load times Chrome vs IE. There is a noticeable difference.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Why did installing Firefox cause you grief? I have all three installed, well I have to as a developer. I will say (again) that IE has finally caught up and adhered to standards making my life easier. However I’ll only use it when I have to. It’s bloated.

I just did a basic test of load times Chrome vs IE. There is a noticeable difference.

Just an FYI: My average speed, using IE 11 for all websites I go to today is about 9.43 mbps. Here, .71 mbps.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

Living up to my label of being a smart-a$$, did you guys by chance hire the same web builders that Obama-Care did? I was lucky enough to not have to use that site but if this is what it was like–so far–lol—I am dang glad I didn’t have to–per the news reports on it’s (Obama-Care website)development.

Don’t IE users make up a high percentage of web users/browsers? I miss IDO and hope the likes of me are not being alienated. Even though I am a Mercury guy, I will echo Suzuki’s words in his previous post.

Good thing I ain’t workin’ by the hour or the time to get to creating this reply would have broke my mythical employer! LOL

Glad I am just a feeble minded fisherman and not the one that has to figure this thing out. Good luck! I’ll keep comin’ back and checkin’ in–I hope.

jepiking

have not read where others are having same problem as myself..all the adds are on the left side covering up the different posts..scroll down out of the ads..its seems to be very good..

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Maybe beong off the grid for a couple days is messing with my perception, but the site seems fast today?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Maybe being off the grid for a couple days is messing with my perception, but the site seems fast today?

Yes, it is noticeably faster than it was a couple days ago. Speed improvements are being made daily and will not stop until the site is as fast or faster than the previous platform.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Don’t IE users make up a high percentage of web users/browsers?

No, not even close. IE is used by less than 9% of online visitors in 2014. And falling. IE was used by over 50% of online visitors in 2008. There’s a reason they’ve lost so much market share in such a short amount of time…

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

No, not even close. IE is used by less than 9% of online visitors in 2014. And falling. IE was used by over 50% of online visitors in 2008. There’s a reason they’ve lost so much market share in such a short amount of time…

That is true for all web visits. The most hits now are from phones and tablets where IE is not a player. IE is still in the 45-50% range of desktop/laptop hits.

So yes you are correct. Don’t know if the other data supports your demographic users (not target users) and blowing off IE at this point in time.

From a Chrome user.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 81 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.