Alumacraft Alumatrac Downrigger Mounting Options?

• Brian F

As the title suggests, I’m looking at options for Alumatrac mounts for down riggers on Alumacraft boats. Alumacraft 165 CS and Scotty manual downriggers.

It seems like there are a few options for the Alumatrac and I would prefer to not use risers on the inside of the hull to maximize deck space. I also only use downriggers on a few trips a year and remove them after each trip.

There are more options but here are the ones I have narrowed my search down to:

1. Brocraft – they make a rod holder and and DR mount from the same rod holder.
    2. Cisco MTALM. These would still need some type of intermediate plate but would be easy enough to mill my own out of aluminum. Emailed them but have a year to hear back.
    3. Superior Products DR mount. This appears to be the best but may be too pricey for me without considering the other two options first.
    4. Colliflower – Most out-of-the-box friendly and adjustable. However, I don’t like the design as much as the other 3.

Does anyone have experience with any of these mounts? I’m leaning towards the Cisco mount but I sent them an email a few days ago and have not heard back yet.

OG Net_Man

Late fall this last year I was looking at mounting my existing Cannon downriggers on my new Alumacraft boat. I was somewhat planning on mounting them on the interior but I changed my mind and went with a track system.

Over the winter I mounted tracks from Traxstech on my Alumacraft using the Alumatrac gunnel system. Traxstech has mounts for the track which are specifically designed for the Alumatrac gunnel system. I wanted the downriggers to swivel so I also went with Traxstech 3″ swivel risers. This system was not cheap….

Using tracks mounted to the Alumatrac gunnel system allows for a greater length of gunnel to disperse the stress from the downrigger. I also had existing Bert’s adjustable rod holders which have been collecting dust to use with this track system.

I have not used them on the water yet and only reviewed them attached to the boat in the garage. After my review if I had to do it all over I would still go with this same system.

Brian F

Thanks. I would love the track system but could not justify the cost for my limited springtime use. I have two Scotty Strongarm 1080 manual downriggers and over the years have added to them including the swivel bases so all set with that. Have used them on my glass center console using the gunnel rod holders and Scotty mounts. Easy on and off.

OG Net_Man

Limited use – I most likely will use mine only 1 to 3 times a year.

I looked at the first 3 options that you mentioned but they all apply the stress of the downrigger to a limited area on the gunnel which I did not like. My Cannons have extendable booms and I normally run a 10 lb weight. However I do not plan on running these with the boom extended and a shorter boom and less weight create less stress.

Gregg Gunter

I just got this one from TKI along with the Mega Live pole mount. Haven’t tried it out yet, been too windy!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3583.png

Gregg Gunter

Big plus of TKI was they replied to emails immediately and answered the phone. Made in Montana and they fabricated a solution for the Humminbird live pole. Arclab has not responded to several emails and voicemail.

As the title suggests, I’m looking at options for Alumatrac mounts for down riggers on Alumacraft boats. Alumacraft 165 CS and Scotty manual downriggers.

It seems like there are a few options for the Alumatrac and I would prefer to not use risers on the inside of the hull to maximize deck space. I also only use downriggers on a few trips a year and remove them after each trip.

There are more options but here are the ones I have narrowed my search down to:

1. Brocraft – they make a rod holder and and DR mount from the same rod holder.
    2. Cisco MTALM. These would still need some type of intermediate plate but would be easy enough to mill my own out of aluminum. Emailed them but have a year to hear back.
    3. Superior Products DR mount. This appears to be the best but may be too pricey for me without considering the other two options first.
    4. Colliflower – Most out-of-the-box friendly and adjustable. However, I don’t like the design as much as the other 3.

Does anyone have experience with any of these mounts? I’m leaning towards the Cisco mount but I sent them an email a few days ago and have not heard back yet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.