2023/2024 NHL/WILD Offseason-Season-Postseason Thread

• JoeMX1825
    MN

This thread will end the day AFTER the Wild win the 2024 Stanley Cup…

RULES – Everyone has opinions and ideas, if your intention is just to publicly demean or humiliate somebody, go post elsewhere! That being said, disagreements are what stirs the discussion pot, just don’t be a DBag…

Let the games begin!

CaptainMusky

By demeaning do you mean calling Ek Stonehands?

JoeMX1825
    MN

By demeaning do you mean calling Ek Stonehands?

I retired that nickname last season, he earned it…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I feel bad for those players who hit UFA status this offseason…there’s ZERO money for them except with the terrible teams…

I think we’ll see a big top10 trade announced just before the draft tonight…Teams are getting nervous letting Mitchkov get away…

CaptainMusky

Letting get away or worried they would get him out of Russia? I think that may be a bigger concern. This situation appears to be far worse than Kaprizovs. Isnt he also signed through 26 season? That is a long wait too.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Letting get away or worried they would get him out of Russia? I think that may be a bigger concern. This situation appears to be far worse than Kaprizovs. Isnt he also signed through 26 season? That is a long wait too.

No, I think they are worried they didn’t exhaust all chances to draft him and he turns into a star…He’s actually scheduled to come over to the NHL earlier than Kirill, the difference is he’s already signed for 3 more years and Kirill signed his 3 year KHL extension AFTER he was drafted…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think we’ll see Erik Karlsson finally traded tonight and it will likely include the Sharks eating $5.75 million for 4 years to get it done…unreal times…

JoeMX1825
    MN

I think it’s interesting that teams are choosing to dump players right now for pennies on the dollar vs waiting until the trade deadline and getting a haul back….

CaptainMusky

Mitchkov is definitely the most polarizing player in the draft for me. Bedard is sure fire #1, but Mitchkov could really go anywhere from like #2 to late first round.

Tom schmitt

With Blake Wheeler’s likely buy out should the Wild call to see if he would take a lowball deal?
    How hard will it be for a Canadian team to make the playoffs this year?
    Calgary, Winnipeg both turning over their rosters. Toronto being Toronto. Ottowa and Montreal being in the middle of rebuilding.
    It looks like Edmonton is the only hope.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Mitchkov is definitely the most polarizing player in the draft for me. Bedard is sure fire #1, but Mitchkov could really go anywhere from like #2 to late first round.

ZERO chance he gets past Washington at #8 ZERO…They seem to think they can get him out of his KHL deal too (Like they just did with last year’s 1st rounder) Philly has said they will draft him at #7 so we’ll see what Washington has to pay Montreal or Arizona (if they don’t want him) to leapfrog Philly…

Also lots of rumors that Will Smith could be the #3 pick now…

JoeMX1825
    MN

With Blake Wheeler’s likely buy out should the Wild call to see if he would take a lowball deal?
    Calgary, Winnipeg both turning over their rosters. Toronto being Toronto. Ottowa and Montreal being in the middle of rebuilding.

Ottawa isn’t that far off from a playoff spot, but Edmonton and Toronto are their only legit hope…I think Edmonton will push all their chips in this season to win a cup before possibly losing King Leon as a UFA if he tells them he doesn’t want to re-sign in a year…

Russo basically shot down the Wheeler idea…and a bottom 6 Center really doesn’t do us much help…

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I feel bad for those players who hit UFA status this offseason…there’s ZERO money for them except with the terrible teams…

I was thinking the same thing yesterday after reading trade rumors and how many teams are actually in cap hell with the wild. Albeit in different terms.

AK Guy

A home town discount would be nice. I don’t see it happening, though.

tswoboda

I don’t understand how teams could seriously be concerned Michkov will never leave Russia. He’s literally at the draft! Why would a player who can’t or doesn’t want to play in the NHL travel to the great old USofA just for the draft? They wouldn’t.

The real issue is he can’t play for 3 seasons and GMs know they’ll probably be fired by then… just like Fletcher with Kaprizov.

Michkov is the story of the draft for me and he’s going to be a superstar. He’ll have a better career than Fantilli or Carlsson or Smith. The dude outproduced Bedard at their only international tournaments together and then put up numbers in the KHL this year that no one ever has at his age.

CaptainMusky

I dont have a worry about him wanting to play in the NHL, I am wondering about Russia letting him leave with all the unrest going on there. Heck they just about had a coup there just last week. Doesnt he have military obligations too? I havent heard anything about that Flyers goalie that had gotten sent to Siberia. Anyone heard anything about him?

CaptainMusky

Ivan Fedotov will be playing with CSKA this year and likely for several more years. Just read it online so I guess that is encouraging that he isnt still in Siberia or wherever he was sent.

JoeMX1825
    MN

The real issue is he can’t play for 3 seasons and GMs know they’ll probably be fired by then… just like Fletcher with Kaprizov.

as I mentioned, Washington knows how to get these guys out of their KHL deals…They’ve done it in the past and then just last year with Miroshinshenko…You know Mitchkov wants to play with Ovi and vice versa…

There is some smoke with off the ice interference issues with Mitchkov though…his dad mysteriously was killed last year after rumors that he was trying to get Matvie out of his KHL deal so he could come to the NHL right away…Russia likes to take full advantage of unique people that can help the motherland in “other” ways…either through bribes or flat out intimidation & ransoms…it sounds like its out of the movies, but its VERY real…A good movie example of this is the recent AppleTV movie regarding the Tetris game and how it ultimately became available to Nintendo in America through bribes and threats by the Russian Goverment…

JoeMX1825
    MN

might have got lost in a previous post I put in the old thread, but GMBG announced yesterday that they have agreed to hire a new Assistant Coach but he can’t announce it yet, my guess this is due to that coach having a current team contract that expires on 6/30…

CaptainMusky

I hadnt read that. Interesting. I was sort of hoping for that former head coach who had been popping around a bit. Bald headed dude. Apparently he is good with the PP unit which we know needs work. I did read that the Wild were “close”.

JoeMX1825
    MN

NHL Announces the Salary cap for next season is officially $83.5 million, so no last minute negotiation to increase it a bit more until next season… That obviously sucks, but Bettman wasn’t going to increase it unless the players association gave something up…they didn’t…

CaptainMusky

Hynes is his name. Sure enough I remember it after I post.

tswoboda

I just think him being physically present at the draft is a pretty obvious sign he’ll be playing in the NHL one day. I know there’s still pressures and gov BS over there but it’s also not 15-20-30 years ago when guys literally had to defect and sneak out to play in the NHL.

That Fedotov situation is just brutal.

tswoboda

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>
    This thread will end the day AFTER the Wild win the 2024 Stanley Cup…

I appreciate the optimism.

The optimism is great but those dam rules are going to kill the page count.

CaptainMusky

But Kaprizov had to literally sneak out of Russia just last year. Didnt he get to Turkey and somehow get to Florida? Maybe that was more than a year ago, but it wasnt all that long ago.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I just think him being physically present at the draft is a pretty obvious sign he’ll be playing in the NHL one day.

oh for sure, similar conversations last year around Yurov (will he sign long term in the KHL?) and he attended the draft in person and apparently communicates alot with current Wild players and staff…Apparently he and the Wild consulted on the best move for him this season and concluded signing a 1 year KHL deal was best for him…

JoeMX1825
    MN

But Kaprizov had to literally sneak out of Russia just last year. Didnt he get to Turkey and somehow get to Florida? Maybe that was more than a year ago, but it wasnt all that long ago.

yeah, lots of unknowns and there are Wildcards around every corner…no denying that…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 5,150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.