Tried a little green….

Tried a little green….

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

…. for the crappie box. Turned out pretty nice.

The spine ridge was finished with a transparent black then top coated with clear lace with a color shift pigment the ranges from green to gold to blue to purple. The pigment can be seen in the far left bait. It looks like silver specks. If you look carefully at the right hand bait the blue and a little purple are sneaking out towards the front. The baits were lit right up when on the wood for the picture but the camera’s filter sucked the life out of the pretty. I treid with the IPhone but that was worse. They look good regardless.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Here are the other color I did these baits in. Now to re-order more. I really like this baits size and embossed detailing. The action of this bait is really nice.

jeff-pb-crappie-16.5
    SW Michigan

Great looking baits Tom. Will the color shifting pigments work mixed with powder paint?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

All of the color sifting pigments I have are supposed to go over or in a black paint. I haven’t tried it in powder paint , but in the black Createx that I spray I have to mix an awful lot off the pigment to the paint to get much effect. As a rule I use a clear coat and mix the color shifting pigment into it as a top coat over black or other very dark colors. When the top coat has dried I dip the whole lure into CS Seal Coat and hang to drip and dry.

I’ll assume that the color shift would work in clear powder coat if its used over a dark color.

The green baits in the top photo are the only ones with color shifting pigment on them and the very tp of the backs was shot with a transparent black over the green to act as a base for the clear top coat having that pigment in it. The baits in the second picture all have a top coat that is clear with what is called hi lite pigment used in the making of soft plastics. I use this pigment as an interference color, in the case of the orange and black baits the hi lite color is gold. The purple and hot pink both have blue hi lite top coat and since the blue baits blue coat is transparent the blue hi lite went directly in the paint. An interference color simply shows when you change the angle light hits the surface of whatever its on….sort of a clam shell type of thing. The back on that black bait is absolutely black at one angle but shift it ever so slightly and the gold comes out to create a gold sheen across the back and wherever the embossing of the baits body allows the hi lite in the clear coat to settle gold lines appear. The same effects are visible on each of the other colors but for descriptive purposes I used the black as its way easier to see.

Jeff….I’m sending a pm your way in a couple minutes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.