Zero Turn Mowers

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I just moved into a new home and I now have 1.75 acre of grass to mow. I am looking to upgrade to a zero turn to help cut down on the time I need to spend mowing as my Sabre 48″ tractor is going to take a long time to get it done. I know some of the professional mowers can cut at 10-13+ MPH but am wondering how important this is in the grand scheme of things. Many of the ones I am looking at are in the 7-8 mph. My yard is flat and has some trees, but not a ton of them.

Currently been looking at the Hustler Raptor SD 60″. Any other recommendations on machines to check out. Looking to stay around $5k. Used professional machines would be considered as well.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

We have a jd Z545 with a 62 in deck. Its 3 yrs old and we haven’t had any problems whatsoever. It cuts great and fast too. I don’t get to use it much…. my wife thinks its her job to mow. More time for me in the boat!!!

klang

Bad Boy Mowers, On our second zero turn. Good mower for the money.

munchy
    NULL

I have a Hustler 42″ Raptor. Like it and hasn’t let me down yet, but definitely doesn’t cut anywhere near the listed speed and be prepared to only take half the deck overlap passes especially if the grass is thick and starting to get long.

The 21.5hp Kawasaki gulps gas as well.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I just moved into a new home and I now have 1.75 acre of grass to mow. I am looking to upgrade to a zero turn to help cut down on the time I need to spend mowing as my Sabre 48″ tractor is going to take a long time to get it done. I know some of the professional mowers can cut at 10-13+ MPH but am wondering how important this is in the grand scheme of things. Many of the ones I am looking at are in the 7-8 mph. My yard is flat and has some trees, but not a ton of them.

Currently been looking at the Hustler Raptor SD 60″. Any other recommendations on machines to check out. Looking to stay around $5k. Used professional machines would be considered as well.

A big movement has been made towards zero turn mowers to cut down time. I understand that desire as everyone’s time is valuable and finite.

Mowing is a seemingly routine chore for many, but it is also one of the more dangerous things people do without second thought. Today’s mowers are faster, heavier, and more powerful than ever before. In our extended family alone we have seen 2 accidents from mowing in the past year. One was a bystander being struck by a small rock that was hit (20 yards away) and losing eyesight, and the other was a zero turn losing traction on a relatively small hill and flipping with an inexperienced operator.

Regardless of what someone thinks or a manufacturer states, mowing “fast” is not always better. The final outcome is more uniform when done at a slower speed. Also, all the jarring and bouncing of a mower run fast only creates more wear and tear. Whatever you go with, focus on a machine that will last and is easy to maintain, does the job safely, and don’t attempt to run the machine mowing at top speed to finish a job quickly.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Do you really need all that grass? Maybe consider killing some off and replacing it with native wild flowers and grasses that don’t need mowing or watering.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>311hemi wrote:</div>

A big movement has been made towards zero turn mowers to cut down time. I understand that desire as everyone’s time is valuable and finite.

Mowing is a seemingly routine chore for many, but it is also one of the more dangerous things people do without second thought. Today’s mowers are faster, heavier, and more powerful than ever before. In our extended family alone we have seen 2 accidents from mowing in the past year. One was a bystander being struck by a small rock that was hit (20 yards away) and losing eyesight, and the other was a zero turn losing traction on a relatively small hill and flipping with an inexperienced operator.

Regardless of what someone thinks or a manufacturer states, mowing “fast” is not always better. The final outcome is more uniform when done at a slower speed. Also, all the jarring and bouncing of a mower run fast only creates more wear and tear. Whatever you go with, focus on a machine that will last and is easy to maintain, does the job safely, and don’t attempt to run the machine mowing at top speed to finish a job quickly.

Good post. I still mow with a traditional rider. One thing I do to save time is in the spring I spray Round-up around the base of my trees. Just out 3-4″ so I don’t need to be so precise mowing. Also eliminates having to weed whip which I hate doing. At the old house I mowed almost 3 acres twice a week. I find mowing to be relaxing and keeps me outside. I haven’t had to mow here at the new place yet, need to drop a bunch of the low hanging branches first.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I’m moving into a new place in a few weeks that will require a new rider. It’s not a ton to mow but still haven’t decided rider or zero turn- I’m more concerned about having a bagger option because of all the trees/leaves. Can you only put a bagger on fancier zero turn models? I don’t see nearly as many options for that as a traditional rider. Thanks

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

You can put a bagger on anything.

jgross
    Northeast SD

I would highly recommend looking at Exmark, very good quality mowers and most residential machines have 5 year warranty.

Karry Kyllo

I’ve had a Toro TimeCutter zero turn mower with a 50″ deck for years now. It’s a great machine.

If you have many trees in your yard, the only advice I’d give you is not to get a deck that is too wide. I have alot of trees in my 2 1/2 acre yard and I’m glad that I only have a 50 inch deck because there are so many places where a 50 inch deck can squeeze through but a 60 inch deck couldn’t.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

It depends on how much time you want to spend mowing grass every week. Before our Great Dane zero turn commercial mower with a 61 inch deck we used a Simplicity 48 inch rider took about 4 hours to mow. With the Great Dane about 45 minutes with less trimming. It is like you first stated it will cut up to 13 MPH if you want to cut that fast. Biggest difference in a home model mower and commercial is blade speed and built much heavier.

Dan
    Southeast MN

The Cub Cadet Ultima I have can get at least 10-15 MPH. I don’t know exactly but I’m probably mowing a few acres total a week with lots of hills (takes around 3-3 1/2 hours a week) and I rarely have a need to hit that speed. So yes I can get going pretty fast as far as lawnmowers go but between slowing down to turn around trees, navigating hills, etc, I rarely need that speed.

Also, take a loot at the mowers you’re looking at with the clippings in mind. Mine has something like 3 different blades that chew up leaves and chew them up again. Yes there’s still plenty of clippings thrown out but nowadays they are built to mulch them up a lot more.

B-man

I wouldn’t get worked up about speed.

My first question is have you ever mowed at 7+mph before? jester

It would beat the crap out of a guy lol

I have a commercial Exmark 60″ Turf Tracer (walk behind with a pro-slide) with a 23hp Kohler Command. I just googled the max speed and it says 6.75mph. It’s pretty rare for me to go full speed….

My advice would be to go with a used commercial unit if it looks like it’s been somewhat taken care of.

I spent just a couple grand for mine at least 10 years ago now, and it will last me easily another 10+ years.

They’re meant to mow more grass in a week than you will in an entire season…. that’s a good thing )

Jim Zooter

I’ve got a Kubota mower with a 54″ deck on which the front tires keep going flat. I THINK that happens when I mow a drainage swale around a 2-acre track and the angle puts too much pressure on the side of the tire, breaking the seal between the rim and the tire. How do I solve this problem? Maybe increase the air pressure? Buy replacement tires that don’t require air?

An image is attached the approximates the type of swale I mow.

Attachments:
    1. xpdrainage2018.1_swc_swale.png

Sconybubba

Hands down best zero turn is Scag. Cut, speed, quality nothing compares. Going on 10 years with mine and only replaced blades and routine change of fluids and regular grease. (only Amsoil).

Adam Steffes

Ferris was what I chose – full suspension is really nice. I went with a suspension seat base as well.

MX1825

I’ve got a Kubota mower with a 54″ deck on which the front tires keep going flat. I THINK that happens when I mow a drainage swale around a 2-acre track and the angle puts too much pressure on the side of the tire, breaking the seal between the rim and the tire. How do I solve this problem? Maybe increase the air pressure? Buy replacement tires that don’t require air?

An image is attached the approximates the type of swale I mow.

Put tubes in the tires

X2

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I just moved into a new home and I now have 1.75 acre of grass to mow.

Sounds like a great time to thing about weather or not you want to spend thousands of $ on a mower so that you can spend hours and hours mowing that much lawn for as long as you own the place.

Have you considered converting about 1.5 acres to native prairie, pollinator habitat, wildlife habitat, or some combination of other landscape elements that don’t require mowing?

An increasing number of my customers are in your exact position. They are tired of mowing huge lawns and also they want to do something that gives back to nature.

I would rank a field of clover in bloom or a native prairie to be as beautiful as any lawn I’ve ever seen.

Coletrain27

This thread is over a year old

Jim Zooter

I’ve never heard of that brand and I don’t think it’s sold in my area.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.