YOUTH HUNTING

• Coletrain27

our son is 10 and this year i plan on taking him on the youth hunt. im looking to find a shotgun for him and was looking at the mossberg 500 youth super bantam combo model with slug and bird barrel. anyone have any other suggestions on a setup? i would like to get something with both barrels. when i was a kid there was no such thing as a youth hunt so i was old enough to handle a full size 20 gauge and have no personal experience with the youth shotguns.

it seems like the youth shotguns really hold there value so i figured i might as well just get a new setup for the price the used ones are going for.

https://www.scheels.com/p/mossberg-500-youth-super-bantam-combo-field%2Fdeer-pump-shotgun/01581354250.html?cgid=pump-action-shotguns#prefn1=Gauge&prefv1=20&start=10

Netguy
    Minnetonka

That’s a great choice. Pump, wouldn’t recommend a single shot with hammer for a kid like I used, tang safety and adjustable stock pads.
    My group of 4 friends passed around a Mossberg youth pump, just the bird shot barrel, as our kids grew up. Some families used it twice!!

Coletrain27

Yea I would prefer to start him on a pump

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I assume you’re in shotgun only zone? If not then a youth .243 is a great choice.
    But yeah, I have the youth 500 20 gauge also for the kids for turkeys. Been a good gun but I’ve never tried it for slugs.

Coletrain27

Yea we are in the shotgun zone. I will probably go with the mossberg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I know nothing about current models but my dad still has an old 500 reliable enough gun but the thing I didn’t care for was the pump action was slopy. Can confirm it kills deer, my dad even has a scope on it and was accurate out to 80 yards. I had a youth model Winchester when I was young and it was a sweet gun, honestly have no clue what model it was, but it was bought in the mid 80s.

brandyman
    West central MN

My son just outgrew his 500 youth, nice reliable gun and the thumb safety is a great visual as a parent.

JEREMY
    BP

I bought a youth model winchester 20ga couple years ago because covid made nothing else available. My stepson just turned 10 and i cant find a barrel or scope mount anywhere the stupid thing.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I’ve got a 500 12ga slug barrel.
    I bought it as we did all drives in river bluff country. Wanted something I didn’t want to worry about scratching up, paid $180 in about 2006.
    That gun shoots great, zero issues, total work horse. Not going to win any beauty competitions and rattles a lot but it has been way more reliable than I had ever expected.

Stanley

2 of my boys have the regular not youth mossberg 500 combo and it has been great for them. They both put over 100rds each through them at a trap shoot and not one issue. Great starter set up that he can use for any type of hunting he may want to try.

Coletrain27

i ended up getting him a mossberg 500 bantam with both barrels. we havent sighted it in yet but it should work good for him waytogo

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.