You Wouldn't Believe it if We Told You…IDO TV

• Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

This week Pat, James and myself headed to Upper Red and not to chase walleyes! I know a lot of you remember the crappie boom back in the day, and this week’s show we were looking for the deuce. After hearing reports of people catching good numbers (50+) of crappies a day, we thought it was only right to try. As we headed up there, the joke was we were going on a little bit of a snipe hunt.

We went out of JR’s on the south side and were out about 10 miles. You could say we ended up finding the needle in a haystack and put together quite a nice mess of crappies. 95% of them were between 13-15″, and very robust, healthy fish.

The trick was staying mobile and hole hopping around to stay on the school. While sitting in the right house would get you on a good bite for a night, trying to follow the school was the name of the game.

Glow red was the hot color in an 1/8th oz rattle or tingler spoon. You needed to be jigging as our set lines didn’t see any crappie action.

Like always, the show will be on this Sunday 8am CST on Fox Sports North.

Attachments:
    1. Crappie-Boom-1-of-1.jpg

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If someone as looking to get in on a really good crappie bite right now, I’d send them to Upper Red. Those fish are TANKS!

ec1
    NULL

Forgotten bites that have been left alone for a few years may surprise you! Nicely done!

big_g
    Isle, MN

Just for my curiosity… when you guys punch a bunch… what would you say was the size of the area that kept you on the school ? 100′ circle ? 200′ circle ? more ? Will be watching this weekend waytogo

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Just for my curiosity… when you guys punch a bunch… what would you say was the size of the area that kept you on the school ? 100′ circle ? 200′ circle ? more ? Will be watching this weekend waytogo

This would be a good topic to cover in a “webisode”, how many holes do you drill to cover a piece of structure to stay on fish.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Half mile X quarter mile area would be my guess. If you want to catch fish during the day you’ll work for them. I’d guess we caught 12 – 15 crappie that were 14″+ midday when most in the area where waiting for the afternoon bite to kick in. Once the sun started to get low on the horizon it was game on for everybody in the area. We could actually hear people in nearby houses hooting and hollering once the schools started to get active. It is a fun bite!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

This would be a good topic to cover in a “webisode”, how many holes do you drill to cover a piece of structure to stay on fish.

I can answer this fairly easily. We punch as many as is needed but no more than is necessary to maximize the number of fish we’re able to put on the ice.

Scenario #1 – If we’re on a bite where we’re sporadically picking up a fish here, a fish there, like was the case on Upper Red, we’re constantly taking turns with the auger expanding the search area and that’s how we end up swiss cheesing such large areas during the course of the day. When the fish are neutral and scattered very often success comes down to 25 or 50 new holes = 1 more fish on the ice. That’s basically the way it worked on Upper Red and it allowed us to really dial in where we wanted to be during prime time as well.

Scenario #2 – Other times when we’re able to drop on a “spot on the spot” where we have a large number of fish in a small area… there’s no need for more holes in those cases. As long as we feel like we’re on the best bite the area can produce we’re not going to waste time punching new holes.

Scenario #1 is far more common than Scenario #2. Long story short, if someone in our group hasn’t iced a fish in 5 – 10 minutes and we’ve checked all available holes someone is going to jump on the auger and get to work. When someone picks up the auger to punch a string we’re talking 50 – 75 holes, minimum, which is a sufficient number of holes to keep two anglers busy checking holes and fishing.

If we’re fishing as a group with more than two anglers to check holes we’ll take turns punching larger numbers of holes while the other anglers fish them… the guy running the auger will go for 20 minutes or more before handing off the auger. When you’re running a Lazer Mag… you can punch a lot of holes in 20 minutes!

If the fish are scattered and we’re trying to track them down we won’t fish holes where we don’t mark fish. We’ll just dunk transducers to see if there’s a fish in the hole. If not, we’re on to the next hole. In this type of scenario a guy that’s good with the auger and a couple anglers checking holes can hole hop through a huge area. This is the type of system we use that is responsible for finding almost all of our best bites.

How many holes get punched in a day? The only time I’ve ever really counted is recently when I started to use the Lithium Lazer and wanted to accurately track the capabilities of the battery powered auger. Based on those totals and how long a battery would last and how many holes we were punching I’ll throw out that in a typically day on the ice we punch hundreds, not dozens.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

It’s funny when we get into a spot with others close by and drill 50-75 holes with a Jiffy propane and they give the look like we’re scarring their fish away only to have those same people start to crowd in and actually use the holes we drilled and inquiring why we have more fish. A good auger is better than a good partner, unless they bring the good auger. Heck, even named my dog Auger.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It’s funny when we get into a spot with others close by and drill 50-75 holes with a Jiffy propane and they give the look like we’re scarring their fish away only to have those same people start to crowd in and actually use the holes we drilled and inquiring why we have more fish. A good auger is better than a good partner, unless they bring the good auger. Heck, even named my dog Auger.

The harder we work, the luckier we get. Crazy how that works…. whistling

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

OK… I thought I was doing justice last time I moved five or six times, and punched 6-7 holes in each spot. Never found the crappies, but I thought it was a decent, failure of an effort. Now I feel like I didn’t try anywhere near hard enough. I can’t wait for open water.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

OK… I thought I was doing justice last time I moved five or six times, and punched 6-7 holes in each spot. Never found the crappies, but I thought it was a decent, failure of an effort. Now I feel like I didn’t try anywhere near hard enough. I can’t wait for open water.

You’re not far away. My brother has the nice new auger, with another driller it’s possible if we ganged up we can do this.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

The key part of James’ explanation in my mind is the teamwork involved. I would wager that the area a group of fisherman can cover is exponentially higher than the area a single person can cover, NOT a linear relationship.

That’s the one frustrating thing when fishing by yourself or with a friend that is unwilling to move. First you have to go drill 20 holes all by yourself, then you have to walk back and get your rod and flasher, then check every hole for depth/fish. Often times only a few of the holes will be in the depth/area you are actually trying to find. Then it’s back to pick up the auger and drill out another 10 holes in that area, then back to get the flasher/rod and check them out.

It can be a grind! But with 2 or 3 dedicated people, you can take turns on the auger, and have your buddies constantly checking for depths/fish.

Fisherpaul

Man it looks like Tip downs would be a blast up there!

hamms
    Mn

I love the system James described. I love to drill into a good bite!

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Great system James explained! I wish I had others that were willing to put in that effort with me. I’m usually fishing by myself or taking other inexperienced people out with me.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Dang,
    Makes me tired just reading about all the holes James is talking about drilling to be successful

I need to find more friends to come fishing with me!

bee
    Maine

James you guys must have some good going. Makes me drool. We are shut down. No way to fish with all this snow and the next 2 feet at our heels.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I need to size down my power auger to 6″, 7″ or 8″… from my 10″!!!

Mark

drewbop
    Duluth

It’s great once you find that fishing partner that is willing to put in the same amount of work as you are to find a bite. Each time my buddy and I go out we drill hundred, (hundreds?), yes hundreds of holes to find the bite. We explore new lakes and use the same system James described. We don’t always find the bite, but at least we know we weren’t missing out on anything.

Sometimes it’s hard because you actually end up drilling holes all day and only doing a little fishing.

It makes it hard to sit in a house with my other buddies and just wait for the fish instead of going and finding them.

I bought a Strikemaster Solo last year and I can say this auger alone has caught me hundreds of fish by allowing me to drill hundreds of holes.

bee
    Maine

I need to size down my power auger to 6″, 7″ or 8″… from my 10″!!!

Mark

A Tanaka Power head with a Mora 7 inch is nice.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

This story doesn’t suprise me at all. On our annual memorial day family week on Red last May, my boys’s lines started to pull in more crappies then I have seen up since the boom. Just wish you guys wouldn’t have said anything. whistling I saw em’ first and they are all mine, don’t ya know. coffee

tom hopkins

This right here is why I respect ido so much. The honesty and true professional advise and behind the scenes info that nobody else is willing to share.and it has earned you guys quite the following .. amazing that you got on those donkers on url of all places !! you guys deserve it!! Can’t wait to see the show!!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.