You could say I'm a fanatic when it comes to lurecraft and design

• Spoon Minnow

Soft plastic molds and other supplies:

Lines tried:

Soft plastics of all kinds bought over many years:

Racks of hardware:

Work benches:

Many boxes of crankbaits (many unused in original packages) not shown.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Wow! Quite the set up! Looks like fun.

Spoon Minnow

Something to do when I can’t go fishing, plus it keeps this ol’ brain from mental inactivity (ie.watching the boob tube).

Amazing what you can do with a bit of imagination and a candle.(see other post)
    Who says you have to settle for the limited lure designs sold – many which don’t work most months.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Looks fun! I would enjoy that a lot. My only issue is I try to use a lot of different baits but I end up going back to the same 3-4 that produce everyday. I really haven’t found much use for variety.

Spoon Minnow

Like you, I use lures for bass I’ve used for years without exception except for days I’m experimental.
    One thing about using variations of the same lure design is finding out what’s true or false. For instance, I fished for smallies in a stretch of river I knew held fish. So when I went back the next day I took spinnerbaits with different skirt colors and blade shapes (Colorado and willow leaf). ALL caught bass. (Caught over 60 in two days.)

On a local lake I wanted to test four different jig trailer designs plus different color skirts – one all white with white trailer. All caught bass in different parts of the lake and at different depths.

On the same lake I wanted to test different dropshot lure designs. Some did much better than others and since I wanted to try a lure on a jighead rather than a sinker, I caught doubles (panfish) in the same spot 10′ down.

The Senko intrigued me and I wondered what other stick design would have the same tip wobble on the drop. I found one (I have no idea how it got in my tackle box) and being only 2″ I wacky rigged it with a 1/32 oz jig. Caught fish immediately and has been one of my best lures since then four years ago, but also led to finding different variations of it that did equally well.

Granted, many may take a bunch of tackle along thinking more is better. But owning more doesn’t mean catching more. Being on the lookout for the best lures made of a lure type and knowing they will usually come through is key. The reasons for their success is speculative – the fact that a specific lure catches fish like magic is well….magical.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.