Yamaha F40 – LU and TiltTrim

• Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I’ve got a 2000 Yamaha F40 outboard that needs a little TLC. Last year I bunged up the lower unit pretty good and would like to get the prop shaft checked. The trim cly also leaks (always has) and would like to get that fixed.

Anyone know a shop that would give it a look? Any ideas on what i’d be looking at for $? The motor is quite used and isn’t a looker but does run quite well and I should probably get this taken care of.

Thanks,
    Pete

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

La Cannes has been pretty good on Gary’s older motors.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I thought I had a leaky trim cylinder on my Yamaha F40 too. It turns out I had to tighten the manual trim screw. Its the screw that loosens the trim for manual trim. Mine was not tight and the trim would leak at higher speeds. I attached a picture of where that adjustment is on my 2002 F40.

Hannay’s in Minneapolis is a Yamaha dealer and I thought their prices were fair the last time I went there. I even think they have Winter rates too.

Attachments:
    1. 20141230_105324.jpg

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

We usually have someone coming or going between stores Pete. Happy to give you an estimate once we see it. Feel free to give a shout.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

I thought I had a leaky trim cylinder on my Yamaha F40 too. It turns out I had to tighten the manual trim screw. Its the screw that loosens the trim for manual trim. Mine was not tight and the trim would leak at higher speeds. I attached a picture of where that adjustment is on my 2002 F40.

Hannay’s in Minneapolis is a Yamaha dealer and I thought their prices were fair the last time I went there. I even think they have Winter rates too.

I’m pretty sure mine’s the cylinder or something. I’ve replaced the fluid, bled the system, etc. When under load and running, I can trim the motor up but not down (it just whines). If I throttle down, it will trim down.

We usually have someone coming or going between stores Pete. Happy to give you an estimate once we see it. Feel free to give a shout.

Huh I didn’t think you guys did that stuff, figured you sent it out – I’ll shoot ya an email, Dean. Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.