XDM 9 – New or used?

• 311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I am looking to pickup a pistol, never owned one. Looking to spend around $400, and I have seen some XDM 9’s online for around that price, maybe a bit more. I have shot the XDM 9 and really like the feel of it, but new they are $550+.

This will only be used for occasional target shooting.

Any issues with buying used? Any good places around the twin cities to look for used?

Jake
    Western WI

Nothing wrong with buying used. If you do buy new though, they are having their gear up event where you can get 3 extra mags and a range bag for free. I picked up my Mod.2 for around 529$ at Scheels.

Attachments:
    1. Capture.png

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Dumb questions, but if a gun comes with a clip or two….how many clips does a guy need?

Or it is just easier to have multiple clips 3+ (all loaded) when going to the range?

Just getting into this…..so it’s all new to me.

realtreeap10
    Over there

The more Magazines you have loaded the better when range shooting IMO, some people only load 2 but you shoot through a Mag faster than you think. I have the XD mod2 in service and subcompact models and love both of them. Between the 2 pistols I think I’ve got 8 mags but 1 is always loaded with hollow points. PS- a clip is different than a magazine.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

They are a fairly “new” offering in the import market in the US, but I would not hesitate to take a look at the Canik TP9 series. They’re a Turkish made series that was initially designed to compete for a NATO contract. ISO 9000 certified manufacturing facility, Warren Tactical sights, Mec-Gar mags. Earlier this year I picked up the TP9SA Mod 2, and have been VERY happy with the purchase. Machining marks are almost non-existent on the one I received, and the Cerakote slide finish seems to be holding up really well. Depending on which model you get, you will absolutely be around that $400 price point.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Even shooting slow you will empty a magazine in less than a minute. You save some but little time having preloaded mags unless you have a lot of them. It seems more common to have a LOT of AR mags probably because they are cheaper than pistol mags.
    Here’s a great little tool to have on hand. I have two so one is always handy.

UpLULA™ – 9mm to 45ACP universal pistol mag loader

tornadochaser

They are a fairly “new” offering in the import market in the US, but I would not hesitate to take a look at the Canik TP9 series.

Those TP9’s are shooters. A few guys I’ve shot 3 gun with are really enjoying theirs.

OP, if you like the XDM but don’t necessarily need the “M” version, the original XD’s are around $340 new.

404 ERROR
    MN

Buy used if you can find one and don’t care about a nick or scratch. Even a well used handgun (5,000+ rounds) will still most likely outlast the vast majority of shooters.

My old USPSA Production gun had well over 5,000 through it when I got it. I’ve put another 8-10,000 through it in the 6 years I’ve owned it and it’s still going strong with nothing more than recoil springs, sights and a mag release.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I went and held a number of them yesterday and the xd felt the best. I think I have decided on the xdm compact 3.8. It’s over my budget, but if I ever decided to carry I wouldn’t need to buy another sidearm.

Is it normal to not have your pinky finger on the grip on a carry pistol? I think would want the extended mag for target shooting. Again, target practice is main focus, with possibly home defense or carry later on.

Jeff James

Check out ArmsList for your location, I am always typically able to find a few good deals on used firearms.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes it’s pretty typical when you hold a sub compact carry gun you pinky won’t have a home. But you can still get extended mags or magazine with pinky grip.

tornadochaser

I’m tempted to buy an XD9 variant just for the cheap mags. This is a killer price. https://palmettostatearmory.com/springfield-xd-9mm-16rd-full-size-mag-xd5016.html

There’s no reason that a guy shouldn’t have 20 mags for every AR he owns and 10 mags for each pistol he owns given current prices. The run up to 2020 will be here before we know it and prices will go up reflect the uncertainty of that election.
    Don’t get caught in the next panic buying spree.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.