WX2190 – mounting options for VHF radio and antenna

• Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

OK guys, show me where you’ve mounted your radios and antennas! I’m thinking I’ll stick with a 4′ Little Giant or similar for the antenna.

Thank you in advance!

Scott

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I have a 2060 with a tiller kicker so I don’t have the remote throttle. I mounted my VHF directly to the play that the remote throttle would be. I put the antenna on a RAM Ball mount next to my windshield. I don’t always use it so I wanted to be able to remove it when not in use. I toss it in my front compartment.

I liking having the radio next to me as well. Easy to see the screen. Skeeter Boat Center gave me the idea as that’s what they have done in the past.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I had the ram mount on the Solea with the Little Giant antenna. It kept folding back from the wind so I changed up to a Shakespeare.

If you’re close, I believe I have that Ram mount laying around and would be willing to sell it.

It helps to put your location in your profile Scott.

No matter which way you go, the boys a skeeter boat center will have the best recommendations. They do it for a living. )

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Thanks for the input guys! I have the RAM ball mount on my current boat (Ranger 619). I mounted it on the front deck directly in front of the driver windshield so that it lays down on the front deck out of the way of the compartments when not in use. The RAM ball will slip a little when running across the lake in rough conditions or at high speed. No biggie, but avoidable with a different mount.

My WX2190 (picking it up in September) does not have the VHF and I didn’t notice if I could do a similar mount on the front deck for the antenna.

I think I’d like to keep the radio tucked under the console a bit to keep it out of the rain. I know they are submersible, but water (rain) can “pool” in the speaker outlet and diminish the speaker until it dries out.

Scott

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

but water (rain) can “pool” in the speaker outlet and diminish the speaker until it dries out.

Same with the mic Scott.

Congrats on the WX!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

If it were me
    1. Lay it forward when not in use. Mount may get in the way of the livewell door opening fully.

2. Lay it back when not in use

3. Lay it back when not in use. 3 may or may not work if you mount you trim tab switches there.

There is plenty of room to mount the radio under the drivers console and attach the mic where you’d like it

Then again, i just use a handheld.

Attachments:
    1. 2190.png

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

Thanks Brian – very true on the mic as well. I see some of the brands have a way to deal with this (ICOM I think has AquaQuake) water intrusion.

Very excited for my WX. I get it and promptly head to Rainy Lake for a week. Should give me a good idea of what it can do!

Scott

Scott Gergen
    Hastings, MN

If it were me
    1. Lay it forward when not in use. Mount may get in the way of the livewell door opening fully.

2. Lay it back when not in use

3. Lay it back when not in use. 3 may or may not work if you mount you trim tab switches there.

There is plenty of room to mount the radio under the drivers console and attach the mic where you’d like it

Then again, i just use a handheld.

Thanks Jami. I’m leaning towards #2 or #1.

Scott

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.