WX1910 Deck Extension Box

• Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

I had this rear deck extension box made for my WX1910.

My design priorities were:
    – replace my bulky tackle boxes
    – maintain access to gunnel side storage
    – easy to remove

Bob Schmitt at Just Encase did a great job. He was very interested in hearing about what I wanted it to be, and in getting it built just right. http://justencase.com/

The rod holster was the tricky bit, as getting long rods in and out really does require an opening along that side all the way back to the rear deck. This was solved by creating smaller, separate boxes on either side of the main box which securely attach but are easy to remove when stowing rods. Each of these is big enough to handle a couple Planos, so serve a purpose too.

The lure storage consists of 4 removable inner boxes; this keeps the weight in each one low enough to handle easily. The interiors are fully adjustable for creating various size lure slots as well. I bought 2 “extra” inner boxes so that I could give one to fishing trip partners to load, and a double-stack one for walleye and bass cranks. When the inner boxes are pulled out, I can easily lift the external frame/deck in and out of the boat by myself for those family fishing/boating days when I want to use the jump seats.

Attachments:
    1. DSC_0012-765x800.jpg

2. DSC_0009-800x665.jpg

3. DSC_0011-708x800.jpg

4. DSC_0005-800x568.jpg

5. DSC_0006-800x634.jpg

6. DSC_0008-475x800.jpg

7. DSC_0002-800x751.jpg

8. DSC_0003-648x800.jpg

Gregk9
    Far Northern IL

Love it!

Catfish_Nuggets
    NULL

That’s awesome! Can you tell me if the tops get slippery when wet or is there some kind of non-slip material on there?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Bob makes some quality boxes. They aren’t cheap but when considering the amount of baits (in both number & dollars) they hold they are a good investment.

Yours looks good and your model seems to be getting anxious to get on the water. waytogo

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

That’s awesome! Can you tell me if the tops get slippery when wet or is there some kind of non-slip material on there?

There is a non-skid sticker applied to the top. It’s also tinted to prevent the box from overheating in the sun, which can warp baits. The expense of a custom-built box like this gave me pause up front, but it’s definitely been worth it over time.

Yours looks good and your model seems to be getting anxious to get on the water.

Ha! That’s my nephew, and he’s grown over 7 inches in the 2 years since these pics were taken. He also just got his passport last week, as well as his Ontario outdoors card/fishing license – he’s coming along with me for his first trip to Canada this summer. Can’t wait!

blank

Michael, what are the baits in the first picture that have hard body fronts with plastic tails? They look like Invaders but with a twister tail instead of a flat forked tail.

Those boxes look sweet!

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

Those are HardHeads…they’re like a Bulldawg but with a hard body so when it gets torn up by a muskie you just replace the tail. Designed by Roger Watters of H2O Tackle, he sold them to Phantom so they are available pretty much anywhere now.
    https://www.phantomlures.com/hardhead

patk
    Nisswa, MN

WOW!!! That looks fantastic. I’ve been pondering a project to make a bigger rear deck and this is a great reference. Maybe the only difference is I don’t have the musky addiction(well at least yet:)

Michael C. Winther
    Reedsburg, WI

WOW!!! That looks fantastic. I’ve been pondering a project to make a bigger rear deck and this is a great reference. Maybe the only difference is I don’t have the musky addiction(well at least yet:)

I had a few extra insert boxes built as 2-high stackable trays. They’re each about 6″ high +/- so they work really nice for bass and walleye cranks and one set of them holds more lures than I own. I just swap them in depending on what we are going to be fishing. You could also get them made with Plano-sized dividers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.