WTF MICROSOFT!!!

• rkd-jim
    Fountain City, WI.

Woke up this morning, got my cup of coffee and went to the computer to check the fishing reports. My screen pops up
    “WELCOME TO MICROSOFT 10”!!! I have been asked to sign up for this for the last 2-3 monthes and have turned it down.
    Now all of a sudden I own it! Strange look and computer is slower than the second coming of Christ!! How does this
    happen and what can I do about it? Has this happened to anyone else?

mojogunter

hasn’t happened to me, but I know you have a small window to go back to what you had. Do a search how to go back. I updated on purpose, and wished I hadn’t. Trouble is I waited too long to opt out, and I am stuck with it.

bigpike

Was forced to go with just a smart phone a couple years ago. No lap top, no home based computer, and all my issues with computers went away along with the cost. While I am a bit limited on some of the things I can do, I really don’t miss all the magical issues that pop up.

Jonesy

I actually liked windows 10. Problem is it caused my hard drive to erase. Thankfully just that day I transfered all of our pictures over to an external hard drive. I had to reinstall windows 7 but i’m leary of going back to 10 now even though I want to.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Same thing happened to Michelle and she rolled back. Same deal, been turning it down every time it asked. She was able to roll back. I’m guessing and auto Windows updates and restart caused it.

I’ve had 10 at home since July or whenever it came out. I have no problems with it. Even my work laptop is Windows 10.

rmartin
    United States

You have 30 days to roll your PC back or you own it. If you do not have it yet, you may be downloading it in the background even if you do not know it. Leaving Windows Update (WU) set to default of automatic download and install is the culprit. You have to be vigilant about what liberties MS takes with your PC or possibly live with the consequences. You can manually go into WU and change the settings on how you receive updates. One of these settings is “notify, but let user choose.” Once you have the list, you can get individual info on each. You can choose to “hide” updates you do not want, but I can tell you that the upgrade and spyware WinX updates come back after you have hidden them. There are a total of 8 of these updates I am speaking of. The Get WinX updates and the telemetry (spying) updates.

jerry b
    western WI

Being on a data plan thru VZ, I tried 10 and went back to 8.1. Unlike 7 and 8, 10 gives you no option of which, when and where to install updates. I normally wait till I have a few updates and go the the VZ’s store hotspot to do my updates. It took me right up to my data limit in no time at all. I increased my limit and got rid of the data hog. The folks at the VZ store told me this is a common problem with 10- – jerr

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Microsoft seems to feel there is a lot of money to be made in “data mining”. Windows 10 does a wonderful job of watching everything you do and reporting it back to headquarters. If you look into it you can find lots of information on shutting this stuff off.

I’m still using Win 7 and I have automatic updates shut off.

SR

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

I just rolled mine back to 7. It only took about 10 min. Everything is as it was when they pirated the software. I hope they leave it alone now.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’m still using Win 7 and I have automatic updates shut off.
    SR

I understand the logic behind this. It makes sense but there may be a cost. You’ll also be missing security updates too. Those are usually desired to be current on.

rmartin
    United States

You can manually check Windows Update from the start menu/all programs/Windows Update. Updates usually come out on the 2nd or 3rd Tuesday of the month, but usually do not show up until Wednesday. MS has messed with the Windows Update installer several times since last summer. You may find that WU is not notifying you of updates if you have the automatic setting turned off. It may take a long time for the update check. There may appear to be 0% progress downloading of the updates and it can be very slow. Perhaps MS is giving download priority to WinX users. This issue has been reported on the internet and I have seen it on more than 1 PC.

Bassn Dan

They’ve gotten sneakier with the Windows 10 “upgrade” pop-up. The first button is “Upgrade Now” and the second one has been changed from “Not Now” to “Upgrade Overnight.” Easy to click what used to be the usual button to close the pest box and end up “Upgrading Overnight.” (Click the “X” to close the box without “upgrading.”)

O/S upgrades are almost as exciting as having a new option for what color the power steering fluid is in your car. Why should anyone care????????????

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.