would you like to round up and donate?

• phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

It seems that every place of business has adopted this nowadays. Go there, buy something and they ask if you want to round up to the next even dollar and donate the change.

Am I the only person who is getting tired of telling them no? I wish places would stop doing this.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I say yes every time. Not a big deal

Sconybubba

I always ask for proof of where the donation goes and I just get a blank stare. I’ll donate where I no it’s properly being used.

stevenoak

If it’s a good cause. Rarely go to Mickey D’s. But RMD House always gets the change, even some of the paper. Along with one of two checks a year.

queenswake
    NULL

I used to feel bad for saying no and wondering what the cashier thought of me, but then I realize that so many people say no and the cashier doesn’t really care anyway.

My feelings aside, it is a smart way of getting donations as most people won’t notice the extra cents. So I can see why it’s done.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Individual choice. No wrong answer. Donating and voting rank pretty high in the “nobody else’s business ” category.

Gitchi Gummi

If a business really wants to make a difference, they should be the ones shelling out the cash and donating. Not soliciting donations from their customers, attempting to be the middle man between the charity and the customer.

If a consumer wants to donate to a cause, they will on their own. Stop trying to guilt trip your customers into donating.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I must live a sheltered life. Never been asked to donate change to something. Now there are places that have these little plastic boxes for charities I throw change in.

Back a while when there was this supposed change shortage some tellers would ask if I’d mind rounding up, so I asked why they don’t round down. Usually got my change!!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I must live a sheltered life. Never been asked to donate change to something. Now there are places that have these little plastic boxes for charities I throw change in.

Back a while when there was this supposed change shortage some tellers would ask if I’d mind rounding up, so I asked why they don’t round down. Usually got my change!!

I always asked them to round down as well why short the consumer.
    As for donating, it really is most businesses this day and age.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I question whether it actually can get to where it is supposed to go. There are a lot of scams out there.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

If a business really wants to make a difference, they should be the ones shelling out the cash and donating. Not soliciting donations from their customers, attempting to be the middle man between the charity and the customer.

If a consumer wants to donate to a cause, they will on their own. Stop trying to guilt trip your customers into donating.

^^^ This
    And on top of it, the business gets the recognition for the donation and the tax write off at the end of the year.
    Once that was brought to my attention, I started to say no more without feeling guilty.

AK Guy

This is in the same category as guilt tipping.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>duluth1an wrote:</div>

^^^ This
    And on top of it, the business gets the recognition for the donation and the tax write off at the end of the year.
    Once that was brought to my attention, I started to say no more without feeling guilty.

This is flat out wrong. Only the person making the donation can take a write off. Look at your receipt and you’ll see the amount. It would be silly to take such a small write off but you could. By law, the retailer rounding up is only a vehicle for the donation and cannot write the amount off. If a corporation matches donations or donates a part of its sales they can write off that amount.

The round up campaigns are a great vehicle for people to donate…if you don’t want to that’s your choice but thinking it’s a tax write off is a false pretense.

Ripjiggen

Most of them do….
    Don’t want to hit no. Want to donate 14 cents go for it.
    Not that big of a deal for me.

The days of coin currency are goin bye bye either way…
    Plenty of folks have loose change in their car that has been there for years doing nothing.

MX1825

I never round up. Is it garanteed to be paid forward? Who knows?
    Another thing I hate is the new restaurant set up. You go to a counter and order and the electronic screen to pay asks if you want to tip???? WTF you have pick up your order and clear your own table. Some of the restaurants in Madison give you 4 options for tipping, 18%, 2o%, 25%, or custom. Tipping is supposed to be for good service. You the customer furnish all the service.:???:

Ripjiggen

Another thing I hate is the new restaurant set up. You go to a counter and order and the electronic screen to pay asks if you want to tip???? WTF you have pick up your order and clear your own table. Some of the restaurants in Madison give you 4 options for tipping, 18%, 2o%, 25%, or custom. Tipping is supposed to be for good service. You the customer furnish all the service.:???:

Then hit no…not that hard tap once.

MX1825

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MX1825 wrote:</div>

Some of them don’t have “NO” for an option.

Gitchi Gummi

You’re right, it’s not that hard. It’s also not that hard to hit decline when I get a spam phone call or throw junk mail away when it shows up in my mailbox, but that doesn’t make it any less annoying.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>duluth1an wrote:</div>

The days of coin currency are goin bye bye either way…

as long as there is cash, there will be coin. I will be long dead before cash as currency is bye bye.

stevenoak

Keep in mind. 2+ years ago, when everyone was herded home to hide under their beds. In person fundraising activities {banquets fun runs etc.} were made illegal. Veterans, children, D.U., NRA, pheasants, turkey, all the disease, your local fire-ambulance dept. on and on and on stopped. They operate on some to all donations. Not really sure how some are still operating. Rounding up annoyed me a little before. But I think you hear it more now because they are grasping for anything to stay alive. I’ve been very active in Veteran and conservation organizations for over 30 years. Also, a lot less people writing checks to them with the economy.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

^^^ Good point, had not thought about that. I agree I find it annoying when they ask for tips at Subway.

DeRangedFishinguy
    Up Nort’

as long as there is cash, there will be coin. I will be long dead before cash as currency is bye bye.

You on your way out or something? Many in the Govt pushing hard for a CBDC. It’s coming, whether we like it or not. I’ll give cash 2 more years, tops.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

You on your way out or something? Many in the Govt pushing hard for a CBDC. It’s coming, whether we like it or not. I’ll give cash 2 more years, tops.
    [/quote]

Government worried about not getting every tax dollar they can lay there hands on.

3Rivers

Its not that hard and I don’t mind saying NO, but it’s just a long list of background noise that I don’t want to deal with. I feel like I’m taking a quiz every time I pump gas.

I noticed places are now starting to force “small talk” from a script too. I’ve starting answering their canned questions with canned responses.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Its not that hard and I don’t mind saying NO, but it’s just a long list of background noise that I don’t want to deal with. I feel like I’m taking a quiz every time I pump gas.

I noticed places are now starting to force “small talk” from a script too. I’ve starting answering their canned questions with canned responses.

Also second button down from top right on the pump for mute!!! jester

buck-slayer

I love getting change. I have a plastic water jug must be 6 gallons. It takes me 5 yrs to fill it and $4-5K when I cash in. Have to transfer it to ice cream buckets to take to bank because of the weight.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a plastic water jug must be 6 gallons. It takes me 5 yrs to fill it and $4-5K when I cash in.

That is a lot of change! I have a small plastic “piggy bank” thing that I just put my coins in and when its full I bring it to the bank. Usually about 40-50 bucks.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

1/2 pint mason jar = $25-$30.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.