Wooden piers and lakes

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That is completely different. Once you rent the spot, it’s private. You can’t rent lake bottoms.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Question for you tree stand guys. If you build or leave a tree stand on public property, is it yours spot to claim as long as it is there? Or is it first come first serve while its up? (Assuming it even legal to do so?)

-J.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Question for you tree stand guys. If you build or leave a tree stand on public property, is it yours spot to claim as long as it is there? Or is it first come first serve while its up? (Assuming it even legal to do so?)

-J.

My understanding is that permanent stands aren’t allowed on public property and if they were put there it would be first come first serve.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

That is completely different. Once you rent the spot, it’s private. You can’t rent lake bottoms.

-J.

I see your point. So all the lakefront landowner would have to do is install a “drawbridge” access off of his property, so while the public could use his dock, they couldn’t access the land.

HRG

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I see your point. So all the lakefront landowner would have to do is install a “drawbridge” access off of his property, so while the public could use his dock, they couldn’t access the land.

Correct. Just the dock.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

My understanding is that permanent stands aren’t allowed on public property and if they were put there it would be first come first serve.

Docks on public water should be treated the same then!

-J.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

Agree with Will. Per the DNR up in st Louis county where I hunt they count a stand with a roof as a “permanent stand”. But anything that is up in a tree on public land is first come first serve although typically I am not one to go looking for a firefight with some belligerent “stand owner” on opening morning.

Funny story, my cousin once climbed into the window of one of these permanent stands on public land. It had a cot, some magazines, a heater… cousin said he was about to make himself at home when he looked at the side of the heater and it said “property of SNAKE”. Well he decided he didn’t feel much like meeting “SNAKE” and hi-tailed it outta there lol

Iowaboy1

what would happen if the dock isnt lit up at night and a newbie or hater on the lake is out running around at high speed and crashes into this thing???
    I could see someone literally driving a point home by doing that to the guy who built that monstrosity and then making an insurance claim against him for damages to the boat,contents/person(s) on board ??

Bass_attack

Kare11 ran a story about this earlier in the week. Looks like he built it anyways. Curious to see how a dock like that holds up to the ice.

He will run an ice eater all winter. go ice fishing on minnetonka and look at all the thin ice signs and the beautiful orange fencing around docks like these.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Funny story, my cousin once climbed into the window of one of these permanent stands on public land. It had a cot, some magazines, a heater… cousin said he was about to make himself at home when he looked at the side of the heater and it said “property of SNAKE”. Well he decided he didn’t feel much like meeting “SNAKE” and hi-tailed it outta there lol

This is hilarious, I should start labeling all my gear with intimidating nicknames.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Here’s the Kare 11 story link http://www.kare11.com/news/dock-dispute-makes-waves-on-lake-waconia/495091238

It’s a d-bag move by the homeowner, but ultimately it’s a combination of lot arrangement and the length of dock needed to get past the bullrushes and into navigable water depth…The shared development shoreline could just erect a longer dock that eventually goes past this guys dock though…Fitting his last name is “Dock”…

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This is hilarious, I should start labeling all my gear with intimidating nicknames.

Totally. Just put “Property of the Tickler.” on anything you don’t want people touching. Intimidation factor will be huge.

Grouse

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Jailbird

HRG

Attachments:
    1. 250px-Snake.jpg

2. Snake_from_the_simpsons.png

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Side note, my grandparents were on Lake Edward in Merrifield. It was such a gradual slope on their lakeshore that you needed to go about a 50 yards to be able to float a boat. It was great for young kids (lots of 1-2′ of water to play in), but it wasn’t desirable for boating. They also had their home set back another 50 yards because their land was so flat and often had standing water after rains.

I guess my point is they needed a very long dock to use their lakeshore for boating…so we need to be careful with blanket restrictions.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

DaveB,
    I agree and IMHO the DNR has it calculated correctly with the Dock laws they have in place.

Ya can’t please everyone all the time. Especially these to sets of children.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

Dr Dock, is being an ass. There are two areas where it seems to me he is 100% in the wrong.

1) The DNR clearly states that a dock cannot be used to block off an area of the lake for private use. In an interview on KMSP 9. Dr Dock states that the wants to the dock to keep neighboring boats out of the area so it is safer for his children to swim.

2) The DNR states; ” A dock does not need a permit if it is
    no more than 8 feet wide, is designed to simply meet the need of reaching
    navigable depths”. A quick look at the lake depth map shows that the shortest distance to deep water is straight out, perpendicular to the shore. Instead Dr. Dock chose to actually take the longest possible route to deep water.

KMSP 9 Story

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Some reason that kare11 video played in slow mo for me and the broadcast was very entertaining.

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.