Wooden piers and lakes

• carver
    West Metro

So waconia is looking to get its first wood pier, aka perminate structure.

The city, nor the dnr have any rights to stop it.

Thoughts on having the dnr or state to have the authority to say yeah or neh

Or do you guys want a 260 foot wooden dock.

deertracker

Who is putting it in? It will give shore fisherman somewhere to go.
    DT

Ron
    Victoria, mn

Give us some details. Is there some problem?

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If this is Lake Waconia it is public water and any structure being added to the lake will be under the glass of the dnr. The dnr has criteria that has to be met before anything even starts and the dnr does have to sign the construction agreement.

A 260 footer should afford plenty of area for Zeebs to take hold and pro-create. lol

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Docks are commonly used access structures on Minnesota lakes and rivers. No permit is needed to install, construct, or reconstruct a dock on shoreline property if the property owner complies with certain restrictions PDF icon..

Design and locate your dock and boat lift to avoid interfering with your neighbor’s use of the water. Docks and boat lifts should be placed so that mooring and maneuvering of watercraft can normally be confined within the property lines as if they were extended into the water.

The DNR has regulated docks and other structures in public waters for several decades. In recent years, the DNR has witnessed an increased number of “dock platforms,” which are structures over public waters that exceed longstanding statewide rules that limit docks to a maximum of eight feet in width. Following several months of information dissemination and the gathering of public input, a General Permit was issued by the DNR in January 2008 which authorizes, under certain conditions, the installation of a single, temporary platform at the lake end of a dock.
    Information Concerning General Permit 2008-0401, Authorization of Dock Platforms

General Permit 2008-0401 PDF icon.
    General Permit 2008-0401, Questions and Answers PDF icon.
    Diagrams of Dock Platforms Meeting the Requirements of General Permit 2008-0401 PDF icon.
    Citizen Dock Surveys
    2008 State Fair Dock Opinion Survey Results
    2007 DNR Open Houses and Public Input Regarding Docks

Structures in Public Waters Rule Revision

Revision of Rules for Structures in Public Waters

More Information Related to Docks

Information Sheet: Docks and Access in Public Waters PDF icon.
    Shoreland Lake Classifications
    2002 State Rule Changes Relating to Docks, Moorings, and Commercial Marinas

Link to MN DNR Page

carver
    West Metro

DT

Private Dock\pier by a guy that hates his neighbors dock so he wants something longer that goes out farther.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

In that case, he better hope his neighbors aren’t bass fishermen.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>deertracker wrote:</div>
    DT

Private Dock\pier by a guy that hates his neighbors dock so he wants something longer that goes out farther.

With that attitude sounds like the wife probably yearns for a longer structure as well whistling

carver
    West Metro

BK that is part of the issue. The DNR does not set the “navigable water depth”

They only regulate the size of the dock in width and what is at the end. Not the length or type of structure it is.

The concern of the people is the president it will set by allowing permanent structures farther out into the water on the lake.

I guess the only way to control it is a lake association, but there is if someone has the money and wants to fight it, there is no law restricting it, nothing can be done.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

What is going to keep the ice from taking it out?

carver
    West Metro

Another thing about the navigable water depth. Say the DNR says the navigable water dept is 4 ft.

You own a place on the lake and the whole bay is 4ft deep, so does that give you the right to put a 500ft dock out?

carver
    West Metro

We were all thinking about the same thing. The neighbors that I talked to do not believe he is not going to do anything other then leave it be.

I guess I can’t wait to see a good north\NE wind in the spring around April timeframe.

munchy
    NULL

BK that is part of the issue. The DNR does not set the “navigable water depth”

They only regulate the size of the dock in width and what is at the end. Not the length or type of structure it is.

The concern of the people is the president it will set by allowing permanent structures farther out into the water on the lake.

I guess the only way to control it is a lake association, but there is if someone has the money and wants to fight it, there is no law restricting it, nothing can be done.

But they can enforce if it is deemed to be a public safety risk. And how deep are we talking? Unless this guy has a boat that draws 10’+ of draft then they do have the power to say he has gone deep enough.

“The structure is not a hazard to navigation, health, or safety.”

“The dock is no longer than needed to achieve its intended use, including reaching navigable water depth.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/publications/waters/shoreline_alterations_water_access.pdf

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Scegura wrote:</div>

We were all thinking about the same thing. The neighbors that I talked to do not believe he is not going to do anything other then leave it be.

I guess I can’t wait to see a good north\NE wind in the spring around April timeframe.

I think if he leaves it in the ice will take care of this problem for you. And then if he leaves any part of the destroyed dock in the water he will be fined for littering.

There are wood pier docks here in Alexandria and they get disassembled and taken out each year. Very expensive process.

munchy
    NULL

“There are wood pier docks here in Alexandria and they get disassembled and taken out each year. Very expensive process.”

Our .gov in action folks! smash

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I assume he’s looking at the style with pile-driven piers well below the bottom?

HRG

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

“There are wood pier docks here in Alexandria and they get disassembled and taken out each year. Very expensive process.”

Our .gov in action folks! smash

I certainly agree about the Gov waste, but all of the piers I know of are private.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It just seems like we always need a law for people without common sense.

Some day…some day we’ll all get along.
    coffee

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It just seems like we always need a law for people without common sense.

Some day…some day we’ll all get along.
    coffee

Attachments:
    1. pier-cs.jpg

404 ERROR
    MN

Anyone remember the permanent wooden pier on Cobblestone lake in Apple Valley?…That lasted long…

coffee

carver
    West Metro

I assume he’s looking at the style with pile-driven piers well below the bottom?

HRG

Yes you are correct.

carver
    West Metro

Here is some past news on the issue. Mainly the owners of the new pier going to the city to stop other people from putting their docks where they have always had them.

Waconia council denies proposed amendment for docks, boat lifts

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

http://www.waconia.org/AgendaCenter/ViewFile/Agenda/_04062017-237<a

href=”http://sunpatriot.com/2015/03/02/waconia-council-denies-proposed-amendment-for-docks-boat-lifts/&#8221; target=”_blank”>http://sunpatriot.com/2015/03/02/waconia-council-denies-proposed-amendment-for-docks-boat-lifts/

Ahhhh, the rest of the story. So there’s a pair of “community” docks on the outlot next door,,,,,

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Docks-dock-2.jpg

2. Docks-dock.jpg

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Its all about who you know or buddy up to when it comes to small town politics.
    If Waconia is anything like my town on the St.Croix there is a small group that controls things as it bennifits them, even by breaking the rules to suit themselves then enforceing those same rules onto others. Sorry for the rant, I hate small town politics.

deertracker

That Sunpatriot article got confusing. The people’s last name is Dock and they are talking about docks….. coffee hah
    DT

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Its all about who you know or buddy up to when it comes to small town politics.
    If Waconia is anything like my town on the St.Croix there is a small group that controls things as it bennifits them, even by breaking the rules to suit themselves then enforceing those same rules onto others. Sorry for the rant, I hate small town politics.

And HOAs

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I have friends in the development where this is taking place. I can say first hand that the guy that wants/is doing the long dock is being a total A$$ and has been for a number of years. The guy’s property is beside the lot that is shared by all the residents of the Waconia landing development. As seen in the pictures posted by HRG the fella in question is laying his dock out at a severe angle to crowd out the residents from having use of their lakefront and use of their docks/boats.
    Total jack a$$ throwing his money around like power.

munchy
    NULL

I have friends in the development where this is taking place. I can say first hand that the guy that wants/is doing the long dock is being a total A$$ and has been for a number of years. The guy’s property is beside the lot that is shared by all the residents of the Waconia landing development. As seen in the pictures posted by HRG the fella in question is laying his dock out at a severe angle to crowd out the residents from having use of their lakefront and use of their docks/boats.
    Total jack a$$ throwing his money around like power.

So is Docks dock the white U shaped one or Z shaped one? Obviously the HOAs is the one with 4 or 5 slips.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

OK, last photo. Found the lot lines, it appears as though he’s attempting to follow his left-side lot line down into the water.

HRG

Attachments:
    1. Docks-dock-3.jpg

carver
    West Metro

OK, last photo. Found the lot lines, it appears as though he’s attempting to follow his left-side lot line down into the water.

HRG

Yes I believe he is too. It is an effort to block access to the lake from the other docks as there are a lot of reeds there.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.