Pike fishing – 1/24

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I headed to the lake Minnetonka on Saturday with 4 other guys looking to chase some pike around with tip-ups. We setup out near big island on a weedline that has produced in the past. It was a pretty slow day with two small fish coming to our group, and one to a group near us. We didn’t get too serious about any jigging, but some baby perch were caught. Everyone we talked to said it has been a very slow year on Tonka.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Reports like this sure are getting old this year on Tonka. I sure wish I knew what was going on.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I really didn’t have alot of success this year during the summer. Not with Muskys anyways. I normally boat 10 to 15 quality fish a year on Tonka, but last year, after 4 outings, I was skunked. Gave her up and spent my time on Hunting on Mille Lacs.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I think we ended up in that 10-15 range, while bass fishing. This was the best year I’ve had for the bass there.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Yes, I agree Mike;

While ski hunting, I hooked a few nice bass on big top water. That lakes holds some nice 5+ pounders.

BTP

I’ve been on tonka quite a bit this winter and the best pike days I have had were on Grays for numbers and Brown’s and Wayzata for size. I’ve probably caught 30 walleyes between 10-13 inches and only one keeper 16 inches. Medicine has better pike fishing in my opinion.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Golden,

Good to have you on board.

I’ve never wet a line on Medicine. What are the best depths and baits? Is it a clear lake?

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I did mean to post this, but man, time flies!!!

I did go to Lake Sarah two weeks ago. We did very well on pike. Ended up with the largest being 15#. Caught plenty of 2# to 6#. Also, caught all the nice eater size gills (8″) we wanted.

All the pike went back except for 2 that were 4# for the diner table.

I do like that lake!!!

Anyone work it in the summer??? (for pike that is)

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Our club had a tourny there in the fall and got some huge bass. I know we manage a few pike on cranks and had a couple bite offs as well.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

We were working the point accross the access. We had our camera with too. I had a crappie that had to push well over 12 inches roll in to check out my shinner/jig combo I was using on the pike. At first, I thought I had a bass roll in. Big fish in that lake!!!

BTP

Mike,
    Any of the deep weed edges off of points and the mid lake humps will hold northerns and bass. In tthe summer I catch a lot wormin for bass on the edge of the milfoil. I’ve caught some really nice fish and had a few I couldn’t budge. I may hit Calhoun tomorrow night.

kooty
    Keymaster

Where is this Lake Sarah you are talking about Gary? I might have to come drink a beer and watch the tip-ups this weekend. Doesn’t sound like it’s gonna be nice enough to get on the river.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Its out west on 55 just before Rockford.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Waterfowler;

Send me a pm and I’ll give you the spot.

kooty
    Keymaster

Thanks guys!! Mike you gonna be out west anywhere this weekend?? This looks to be my last free weekend for a month or so, so I better get some fishing in.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Our bass club banquet is Sat and the wife is planning a superbowl party Sun. Let me check times to see if anything can work out for the morning.

kooty
    Keymaster

If your free and want to hit something on the west side just let me know. It’s always better to fish with friends.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.