Independence access

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Is there a free access on Indy that can handle a 17′ cresliner?? I want to get out and try my early ice spots before they freeze over.

Thanks!!

John

WalleyeGFA

Free M-Thurs, they have a sticker that is good for 12 months (as opposed to from Jan to Dec) that is about $20.00 and allows access to all the parks in the THree RIvers District, including boat launching fees… go 4 times and its paid for….

Wally

Figure8em

The pass is offered by the Three Rivers Park district and is good at about a dozen or so lakes around the metro area that you otherwise have to pay for. I think I paid $26 for mine this year.

The docks are out of the landing and the lake is very low right now….shouldn’t be a problem, but you might want to take a quick look before dropping your boat in. I’ll be out on Thursday in a black C-liner chasing toothy critters that are fattening up for winter.

Good luck on the water…

kooty
    Keymaster

One other thing. I’ll need to pick up some fatheads on the way there from work. Any suggestions on a bait shop? I’ll be coming from Maple Grove, likely take county road 9 or 6 west off 494. Thanks guys!!!

Figure8em

There are two baitshops that I know of that are on your way…

There is little strip mall about a mile or so east of 494 on Bass Lake Road with a bait shop on the east end of it. The only other one that I know of is on 394 by the car dealers. Again, it’s in a little strip mall on the north side of the road…I’ve never been to this one, but it’s easily visible from the road…not sure what exit to use to get to it.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I know there used to be a Conoco gas station that sold pretty good bait on the south side of Inde. Althopugh you should leave those walleyes alone, that way I can get ’em.

Figure8em

Is the walleye fishing pretty decent on Indy? In my recent musky trips I’ve consistently seen boats sitting on the humps in the middle, as well as the point on the west side of the lake. I’ve heard there is a pretty aggressive stocking plan in place, but have never talked walleyes with anyone I’ve run into there….just curious.

kooty
    Keymaster

There is some quality eye fishing in Indy, right Mike. I’ve done well on the ice out there. This will be my first open water experience though. I talked with one guy who trolled cranks right up to the freeze-up last year. Assuming he was genuine, he caught a lot of fish that way. Plus his spot is easy to get to during early ice. I always target the other end first ice.

Let us know how the ski fishing goes tomorrow night. Maybe I’ll throw a little when I get there. BTW, what should I be throwing this time of year? I’m assuming top water baits are done??? Sorry I’m all rookie!!

Figure8em

I’m still carrying around the ‘rookie’ label myself as this is my first full year of musky fishing.

I’d throw big stuff…Jakes, Believers, Suicks, Reef Hawgs, etc. in the bigger sizes. The fish we’ve caught recently have come on bigger baits as the fish are stocking up for winter. We caught a fat 42″ last Thursday on a 10″ Jake trolling in about 7 feet of water. I tried to post pics, but still can’t get the stupid pics under 100K bytes. If I ever figure out how to downsize the pics, I’ll post them here. I’ll post info on our trip tomorrow….good luck on Friday…looks like the last decent open water day for awhile.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

The early ice action has been pretty darn good the last 2years. The key has been being ready well before prime time. Whenever we’ve had someonecome out late and drill hoples, the fishing really has suffered. look for the purple Otters!

kooty
    Keymaster

How did you Figure8

Figure8em

We were out for about 3 hours this morning with no action…we trolled and spent a little time casting a few breaklines to no avail. The only hook up we had was pulling a big Tracker boat off the landing as they got a little hung up with the wind blowing in. You’d think that the musky gods would be forgiving after helping another boater, but it wasn’t to be. I’m saying my prayers that we get another shot at hitting the open water, but it’s not looking real good in the immediate future….the thought of winterizing the boat nearly has me in tears. Let us know how you make out tomorrow with the walleyes and muskies if you take time to throw for them.

Figure_8em

kooty
    Keymaster

The way work has been this week, I’ll be darn luck if I’m out of here by 6 pm. I hate weeks like this. You don’t have to winterize your boat, just head to the river in December and January and Februray and…..

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I like your thinking

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.