Skies

• CCoops

Hit up the Yatchers paradise the 10/20/03 for a little Muskie fishing. The wind was howling and it didn’t do anything for the Muskie fishing at least not the stuff I tried). Tried casting weeds, edges, cabbage, got no love. We spent alot of time concentrating on the windblown stuff and it didn’t pan out. We did lose one drag peeler trolling however. I’ll be back soon. SHHHHHHHH. It’s that time of year again.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Definatly let us know how it goes!!

CCoops

10/25/03
    My fishing buddy was out yesterday fishing deep edges for about four hours. He had a couple of rookies with him and they didn’t move a damn thing. The weather was terrifically crappy and once again stingy old Tonka shut us out again. If I had more time to try and put a pattern to those fickle monkeybutts this season might have been a little different story. It seems like most of the muskei fishermen I have talked to on the water had a grear season . Not me, I caught four Muskies on Tonka this year. I know the whole ten thousand cast nonsense and it’s crap. Although this season my fish/hour for Minnetonka Muskies is getting up there. If anybody has a tactic for this time of year that they are willing to share, I’d love to hear it. In years gone by I have boat some of the biggest fish of my career this time of year trolling the outside edges with the biggest baits on the market.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

CC,

I’m gonna try and get out there one night this week. Not sure which yet, got some things to get done around the house before she gets any colder. What end of the lake you fishing? I’m putting in at the mound public landing. I hit all the reefs/flats around enchanted.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

waterfowler,

How is the access in Mound? I know it can be a little sandy and shallow. I’ve seen a couple 2 wheel drives stuck there in the past.

kooty
    Keymaster

I’ve got a 4×4 GM so it’s not an issue for me. I’ve never even had to “lock” them in. It’s a little rough, but that little crestliner sure loads nice so it hasn’t been an issue for me yet.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

If a guy was to try trolling for ‘skies this time of year… what would the bait(s) of prefence be? Colors? Speed trolling?

WalleyeGFA

We have done well on Mille Lacs with rouges at 3mph…

kooty
    Keymaster

Travis,

I’m all rookie when it comes to the skies, but I would think the jakes or large shads would work good. I’m sure trolling for the skies you would also increase your speed to the 3mph?? Again, just a guess on my part.

CCoops

In years past Jakes, depth-raiders, Big M’s, and Slammers have all been great fall baits. I’ll be out trolling next week (probably Tues. and Thurs.). I like perch and crappie (can pass for white sucker) any time of the year on tonka. In the fall baits with a lot of white seem to work the best for me. Casting with braided line this time of year can be really painful because your hands get soaked (I guess some guys go to mono this time of year). But if you get some warmer weather the biggest suicks and reef hawgs can’t be beat. If you get the weighted versions you can fish them slower and they have a little more neutral bouyancy

CCoops

In years past Jakes, depth-raiders, Believers, and Slammers have all been great fall baits. I’ll be out trolling next week (probably Tues. and Thurs.). I like perch and crappie (can pass for white sucker) any time of the year on tonka. In the fall baits with a lot of white seem to work the best for me. Casting with braided line this time of year can be really painful because your hands get soaked (I guess some guys go to mono this time of year). But if you get some warmer weather the biggest suicks and reef hawgs can’t be beat. If you get the weighted versions you can fish them slower and they have a little more neutral bouyancy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.