Tonka – 10/7/03

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Headed out to the lake last night around 5:00. Buckshot and I decided to cast for muskies for an hour or so until the sun got a little lower. We put in at the Mound public landing, I had to park clear down the street. This should have been my first warning sign, let alone the 80 + degree weather.

We got to our first weed flat, I made about 4 casts and I had my first ever muskie follow. I’m throwing a top raider, and can see the fish trailing it. I increased the speed up my retrieve, however when the fish came up to it, I got a little excited and jerked the bait right out of it’s mouth. It looked like a nice fish, I’m guesing around 40 inches, but what the heck do I know, this was my first encounter with a muskie. At any rate, it was very cool!!!!

After working this flat over pretty good with no other success, we headed to our first channel for some night trolling runs. We made a few passes, traffic wasn’t too bad. On one of our last passes in this channel I snagged into a bobber fisherman. I backed up quickly to untangle the mess. The gentleman was kind enough to untangle us and I apologized for the mess. We were just starting to get straightened out when a large cruiser comes pushing through with a spotlight right in my eyes. I’m not sure of the candle power on the light, but I couldn’t see squat. I made a comment about the light in my eyes and was told I was in the channel. No kidding!! I know it’s not the right thing to do, but I often wonder how crestliner black looks on one of those big fancy white fiberglass jobs?????

We moved to another channel shortly after our encounter. We had no success there either. The water was very stirred up and full of weeds/leaves. I’m sure this played a huge roll in the bite. If we would have stayed later, I’m sure our odds of success would have increased considerably. When I left the lake at 10, there was still a considerable amount of traffic.

Bring on those 50 degree days!!! I liked the lake the way it was last week.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I know a lot of guys will have a big plastic bait to throw as a follow up if they get a follow like that. I agree, bring on the cooler temps. More of the lake for us !!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.