Minnetonka 9/29/03

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Took my best friend from high school out to Tonka last night for my first trolling run of the season. The wind was only 5-10, but she made the 42 degree temps dig right through you. Fall is officially here in case you hadn’t noticed.

Our target areas were going to be channels. I’ve vowed to learn this lake since I’m only 10 minutes from the western basin. Not really knowing where to start, I picked up the map and found the channel closest to the landing. Jeff tied on a #12 firetiger husky jerk, I put on a large ripstick(shallow runner) in black/gold. We were barely in the mouth of the first channel when my rod was nearly jerked out of my hands. I didn’t expect this fish to be a walleye as hard as it hit and the way it surfaced so quickly. Once the fish was netted, it taped out at just over 20 inches.

We made several more passes in this channel, switch lures/colors a lot. Time to move, dug out the map and found a second channel. this was a very long channel, but it just didn’t seem real fishy. I decided to make a couple passes switching lures each pass. On our second to last pass my buddy nailed a 21″ fish. Now we have to make a few more passes. No more bites so we head back to the landing, just as my buddy was reeling in, a small pike nailed his #14 HJ.

The action wasn’t fast and furious, but I was able to learn a couple more spots to fish. One thing we noticed, darker colors caught the fish and big baits. I typically don’t keep fish this big, however both of the fish we kept last night had inhaled the baits so badly I was unable to free them without damaging the gill area on both fish.

Here is a picture of Jeff holding our two fish for the night. Does anyone have a recommendation for freeing these fish when the hooks are embedded into the gill area?

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Nice fish!! I enjoy this time of the year out there doing the same things. It seems the nastier the whether, the better the fishing. i will usually start by casting the mouths of the channels before trolling through. I think I pick up more fish that way. Huskys and countdowns both work well.

tbates1385

With the ferouciosness of the bite there is not much you can do to protect the fish other than clip the barbs. I have been fishing cranks barbless for 10 years and I may loose a few but I return a lot more. I go as far as to file the barb smooth on the hook versus just bending it in. I have tried removing the front treble but found on most of the lighter cranks it changes the action to a fibration versus a wiggle action.

mstanley
    Shorewood,MN

Been out lately?? I live on the west end of Tonka and generally get out every night in fall. Eyes are not on the edge or out deep in any numbers right now – pick off one now again but I haven’t been dragging the channels – too much traffic with this weather.

schnauzer
    Minnetrista, MN

I live on the West end of the lake too and normally get out a couple times a week between September and ice over. I haven’t been on Tonka AT ALL yet this fall. I’m sure I’ll get out a few times but I obviously have nothing to report now. I’ve seen a billion boats in the channels though.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.