Minneapolis Lakes and River walleyes

• david_scott
    Twin Cities

I dont have any pictures, or time to put up a proper report.

The walleye bite is on, and it has been for the last couple weeks. All of the Minneapolis lakes have been producing walleyes at a respectful rate. Boat and shore fishermen alike have been getting into some action. The walleyes are using their traditional fall patterns and locations. The channel areas, outside edge of the weed lines, and shallow mid lake structures are all producing some fish. The sunset and evening hours have been key. It might take a little work to find some fish, but once you do, there are usually many more to come. Most of these lakes are not very trolling friendly(cranks) with the steep drop offs and ever twisting weed lines.

The milfoil will make it difficult to impossible to fish some areas from shore. At the same time, I am getting fish on top of the milfoil in other areas fishing with lighted floats less than 2′ below the float. in about 5′ of water and less in places.

This is the time of year to find some big walleyes in the Minneapolis lakes. I have caught many fish in the 30″ class in the past. Lake Calhoun is the best bet for large walleyes, fatheads will produce more fish, small – medium sucker minnows will usually encourage the bigger girls to bite.

Pool 1 of the Mississippi has also been VERY productive in the last couple weeks. Fishing just about any inlet or current seam has been productive. Many fish are also getting into shallow backwaters/bays avoiding the fast river flow. Some areas are producing lots of smaller fish, other areas are producing numbers of large fish. Most areas are productive right now around sunset.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.