Anyone getting into the crappies

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Anyone got any news on the crappie bite on Tonka. I might give it a whirl one night this week.

schnauzer
    Minnetrista, MN

Hey Waterfowler… I haven’t heard anything but I’m going to try to get out this weekend. At the very least I want to make sure everything in the boat is in working order prior to my yearly SD walleye tourney.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

FWIW I was out on fishing yesterday on prior lake, water temp was about 53, and the crappies were all deep, the fish I caught were in 18-22+ fow. I used a pink Flu-flu and a small crappie minnow, with a slip bobber. Don’t know if that will help you, just passing it along

kooty
    Keymaster

Hey Jason,

Long time since we’ve talked. If you head out to Tonka this weekend, give me a shout. I might be interested in following along with my neighbor and his boys, if you don’t mind.

Let me know if you need my numbers. We gotta get together for a cold one.

big-northern
    Plymouth MN

I was on Tonka yesterday afternoon/evening. Started up in Stubbs Bay, found hundreds of carp in the northwest corner but no crappies. I didn’t stay long. Then I tried Tanager, nothing there either. Water temp. in Tanager was 48 back by the private dock. Then on the way to Black/Seton I fished a 4′-7′ weed flat, marked a lot of fish but only got a few dink crappies. Things improved in Seton, I got about 20 crappies in 4′-5′ of water but the biggest was only 9″. Small minnows were better than medium or large ones. There were only four boats in Seton and none in Black Lake.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

I’m suprised there weren’t a bunch of fish in the deep water in Seton. Anyone head over to Big Is?

JoJo
    Inactive
    Eden Prairie

We were out on Seton yesterday from 4:00 to 6:30. The fish were shallower than we thought they would be. 3′ seemed to be the perfect area with 52 degree water.

I used a plan white jig head with a small minnow and my other half used chartruese. White out produced the Chart.

They don’t seem to be in big schools yet, but the fish size is good.

Maxwell seems to be producing also. While loading up, the people on shore we’re pulling in quite a few.

Jo

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I’m suprised there weren’t a bunch of fish in the deep water in Seton. Anyone head over to Big Is?

My big suprise is I couldn’t see the crappies on my X-51 only on my LX3, so you guys just might not be seeing them. My LX3 is worth it’s weight in gold, without a doubt.

schnauzer
    Minnetrista, MN

I’ll let ya know. I have no solid plans yet but it is certainly on my radar screen… and beer is always on my radar screen I now know Saturday is out but Sunday is still a possibility.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Was out on Sunday with my 3.5 year old son. The waves on the big part of the lake were a little tough but thankfully I have a larger boat. Anyway, we did manage 20 or so crappies, nothing large. The waves did somewhat limit where we went but Tanager(sp?) Lake proved to be best spot in 5-6 feet of water.

Anyone else get out and have success?

schnauzer
    Minnetrista, MN

Waterfowler, by the way I never did get out on Sunday. I didn’t want to deal with the wind. So, my boat has only been in the water a grand total of about 30 minutes so far this year, just to make sure everything checks out prior to my walleye tourney next week on the Missouri…

kooty
    Keymaster

I woosed out too. I worked from 6am to 10 then I held the couch down all day. I’m really gettin’ good at it too.

MFO
    Minneapolis, MN

Yesturday I got out for a couple hours and got a few nice fish in Tanager and off Big Island. They didn’t bite fast and furious, but the average size was quite nice. Minnows andf a plain hook worked best.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.