Wits end

• Umy
    South Metro

Long story short – my oldest son ran his car thru the bottom two panels of my garage door on November 6.
    He called company X out and they came that day. Bad experience working with them. Tired of back and forth and no contact.
    This is the company that originally installed the doors as I have that number on the wall next to my service door.

ANYONE know of a company that they work with or have used that I can contact?
    YES, I can go online but many of you guys here seem to be in the business or have contacts.
    Just looking to get someone who will communicate with me and can sell me the product and service I need to get this fixed. If I open the door I won’t be able to get it closed properly again.
    Live in Eagan

CaptainMusky

Sorry Umy, if you were in St Cloud area I could tell you a couple good options, but I know no one in the Cities.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Any damage to the structure? (Did he only damage the door and rails?) One would be surprised at how easy it is to install a garage door. It would take a day to rip out and install a new one. There is not much too them and I would be happy to talk you through it if you decide to tackle it on your own. I am no pro. But I have installed 11 of them over the years. Easy set torsion springs are safer to set than the bar set style. Take your time and be careful.

Is your son’s name Wits? I could see how you like to end him for this. jester

JoeMX1825
    MN

One of my springs broke last fall and I used Precision Garage Door. They came out the same day and installed new springs that turned out to not be strong enough for my heavy insulated door after testing it, so they then came out again the following morning and installed bigger ones that worked perfectly.. I’d use them again…

side note, if you’re ever in the vicinity of a garage spring breaking, it will scare the life out of you…

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

One of my springs broke last fall and I used Precision Garage Door. They came out the same day and installed new springs that turned out to not be strong enough for my heavy insulated door after testing it, so they then came out again the following morning and installed bigger ones that worked perfectly.. I’d use them again…

side note, if you’re ever in the vicinity of a garage spring breaking, it will scare the life out of you…

They are very dangerous if you don’t know how to handle them. Had a co worker cut 2 fingers off by cutting a spring when we were wrecking a building. He wasn’t thinking and used a grinder to cut the loaded spring.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

As for a garage company. My cousin owns Adynamic door company out of east bethel. It’s just my cousin and uncle. Give them a ring. Not sure if they are accepting work right now or not. But they are great guys.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I had a spring replaced last winter by Matt Whyte. I am in Eagan as well. He was honest and the price was good. I think he did it same day. his card is attached.

Attachments:
    1. GARAGE-DOOR.jpg

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Not sure how far the go but at work we use All Season Garage Doors out of Anoka. They have been good to work with.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

We’re in Lakeville and had Action Overhead out of Prior Lake come and door some repairs last year. Was happy with them…neighbors had them out too. Sorry if that’s the outfit you’re having issues with.

Karry Kyllo

If the only damage was the bottom two panels of your garage door, they’re simple to replace yourself.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

I’m curious as to how this happened?

iowa_josh

It happens almost every day in the midsize town I work in.

Umy, you need the company that sells the brand of door you have or you are buying a whole new door. A whole new door may a good decision depending on what you have now. If you have another door you want to match, you need the same brand panels. A random company won’t be able to get them or will have to pay extra to get them.

Umy
    South Metro

Too funny rodwork.
    He was mortified and wants to pay for everything.
    Timing is everything. Never happens when its nice out!

Umy
    South Metro

A. Thanks for all the leads guys – I knew you would have answers.
    Will NOT attempt it myself. Have seen the spring force up close before – no thanks! I have mentally committed myself to a whole new door, if they can match the 2 lower panels that would just be icing – like a WILD victory in OT against the Bruins!!
    B. Boat goes in 3rd stall and angles into the 2 door stalls just a little but we can squeeze two cars in.
    THe son that hit it uses the 3rd stall. Works as a meteorologist and was on his month of overnights so 6:00 pm to 6:00 am.
    Came home at 6:30 am, cant use the 3rd stall now so he gets out of the car to use the keypad on the outside, forgets to put the car in park and has to get out the way before it pins him between the car and the door.
    JUST got my new lower unit put in and have not even had it in the water yet, brought it home and parked in the garage. The foldaway tongue is about 3″ from the door so the car pushed the door into the tongue which pushed the boat back about 1.5′ ( i Had chocks on both sides of the tires so w/o them it might have been worse) He comes and wakes me up, tells me what is going on and I run downstairs into the garage and to the back end of the boat and he’s like” what are you doing” I said “checking to make sure my new lower unit is okay” He just rolls his eyes. HIM: No blood no problem ME: Priorities baby.
    He called the number I have by the door after 8:00 am to get the ball rolling.
    poop Happens.
    C. No, none of the businesses mentioned above are the company I am trying to work with. Will be calling tomorrow.
    Thank you!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m no help for the metro area service/install crews.

I can say that if you have to replace the door, go with Midland. Their stuff is top notch quality, their trucks are immaculately neat when they are loaded with knowledgeable employees, and they are based in ND with operations in MN and Nebraska. These aren’t your Chinese Menards doors. I’ve yet to hear of a customer service issue and we’ve sold a lot of them to everything from contractors on starter homes to legitimate $4 million dollar homes. We put them on our new build in 2022 and I would never go another route.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Glad your boat is OK.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Glad the boat is ok and hope you get it fixed quickly. If it doesn’t get fix before you open gifts you need to mention “all I want to open for xmas in my garage door.” rotflol If you boy is not feeling too bad about the whole thing.

Umy
    South Metro

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

DHpricco’s guy ( the business card above) Came out a couple hours after I called yesterday. Looking at a quote for us.

Thanks everyone.
    Yeah, thank god the boat is okay!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.