Witnessed a family of pileated woodpecker

• 1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I was taking a break in the woods and I saw some commotion of some small birds flying from one location to another with no general direction but to be in that area. Then I saw a glimpse of a Pileated woodpecker
    Qr trademark siliote and color of its head poke around from the back side of a tree. I sat there waiting to view this amazing bird in hopes it reviel itself to me so I could be sure of what I saw. Still these small birds were quickly darting around. It acured to me these were off spring to the bird at hand. I had to know. Slowly I approached the tree to see what was on the other side of tree. Well she or he new I was there long before. She flew off like no other bird could with in tow those cute little birds behind her.

MAN I SOMETHING SPECIAL. I won’t forget what I have seen.

Coletrain27

Those are pretty cool to watch. I’ve seen the adults in the woods while deer hunting.

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

We have had a pair or 2 around since we moved in to our house in early 2017. I got this cool pic of 3 of them couple years ago. I still haven’t seen more than 2 since then. These are probably one of my favorite birds. So cool, majestic, & curious.

I have the Merlin Bird App on my phone & you can play their calls thru my phone or speaker. I’ve sat out on the patio with the kids & play the calls over the Bluetooth speaker. These Pileated Woodpeckers will come from a long ways away, “clucking” and fly within feet of us going back & forth trying to find where the sound is coming from. Pretty neat to see!

Attachments:
    1. PileatedPeckers.jpg

tim hurley

If you want to see one go online and learn to recognize the call, its loud and very distinct, once you hear it look around and you might see ol’woody. I see them when I fish, if you fish in shallow swampy areas its a good place to see them because they like rotting trees.

Mike West

We also have had a pair that’s been on our property.
    Haven’t seen the young ones but being as these have been around now for last couple years guessing or hoping they aren’t far away.
    Going to try the Merlin bird app for sure
    Thanks for sharing that info!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

We occasionally get one on our bird feeder. He announces loud and clear when he wants to feed. I’ll try to get a pic if I see him again.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

We have a pair at our place as well. We have a lot of large trees that are full of holes from them. We also learned the hard way not to put the suet feeder too close to the garage, they like practicing on the cedar siding…..just another thing that needs to fixed, they are neat birds.

Sharon
    SE Metro

Awesome! Pileated woodpeckers are so cool looking! I’ve never seen them as babies but that would be a sight to see!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.