Wissota ice out, from orbit

• jhalfen

Wondering how the ice is doing on the backyard gem?

Me too!

I found this satellite image, taken Monday, which shows that the ice is still holding on in the main basin, but that the Chip above the lake and the northern half of Moon Bay are ice free.

The same image also shows the ice going out on Altoona (just a little left near the dam), and Menomin and Tainter ice-free.

Won’t be long now!

E Ashwell
    Apple Valley, MN

That is an amazing image. What a way to check.

Walleyeking77
    Eau Claire Wisconsin

I can’t wait to catch those nice eyes and crappies on wissota!!!!!!
    Jason, is there going to be another walleye tournament on wissota this summer???

jhalfen

Here’s the image from today’s satellite shot. With clear skies forecast over the next few days, we should be able to follow the departure of the ice.

Looks like we’ve gained a little more open water on the west side…getting closer to the Rod and Gun ramp.

Regarding a Wissota walleye tournament….there is talk of something happening, but I won’t be involved this year. Too many irons in the fire for this guy!

freitag
    Osseo, WI

Jason, if you don’t me asking…what’s the name of that site?

KevinMerbeth
    Waukesha,Wisconsin

Cool pics Jason.Looking forward to getting back up there. How about a daily update until the ice is gone?

jhalfen

Not much change today, April 9.

A couple days of wind would do the job!

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

Jason, if you don’t me asking…what’s the name of that site?

Same question, Neat Pic’s

jhalfen

This is the afternoon satellite shot from today. Seems like the afternoon shot is in better focus than this morning’s shot.

If you look carefully, it seems like the northern half of the remaining ice sheet is darkening relative to the southern half. Also looks like Altoona is now ice free.

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

I flew over Wissota this morning… most of the lake is still covered in ice. Looked like the western shoreline was opening. The Chip was wide open, all the way down past the “S” bridge.

COME ON OPENER!!!!

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I spotted the first boat of the year yesterday.

Then I was working in the yard and heard the scream of a WOT E-Tec. It’s the sound alerting me that spring has arrived.

Sully

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I launched at the State Park Saturday evening just to scout around for a couple hours. The north half of the main lake was all open, the chippewa river is completely open, the yellow river was open from the park to the main lake. I didn’t go up the yellow river much to see how it was. Looked open from where I was, except some ice along southerly shorelines.
    While idling around looking for suspending fish, I found some new cribs to mark on the GPS but didn’t find any fish – but then I only had a couple hours.
    Btw, water temp was 47 degrees where I was near the Park.

John

TyeeGuy
    Chippewa Falls, WI

As of about 5:00 PM, the main lake appears to be all open!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.