Lake Wissota 10/21

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quick report.

Right now on Wissota a lot of attention is being focused on the bridge areas. The bait shop chatter this morning indicated there was a decent crappie and walleye bite under the X bridge.

I set up and vertical jigged under a different bridge with minnows. My bait wasn’t left alone for very long in the 2.5 hours I was out this morning. I caught around 30 walleyes and all but one was a cookie cutter 12″ walleye. It was odd not to see more variation in size. The one I caught in the slot was 16″.

I plan to hit the water tomorrow, but need to pull myself away from the bridges in a hunt for bigger fish.

Sully

krisko
    Durand, WI

Well made it out on 10-26. It was a little windy and cool but the Gamehide Wear kept me warm from the wind. I started out at the CTH X bride on either side of it. I found out right away that Jason was right. The little guys are hungry. I was using my own bucktail jigs with a minnow. I have 1/4 oz sour apple heads with green and yellow hair. I also used black heads with white/red hair. The fish were mainly in 22′-32′ of water. They were hitting hard too. Most of the time my jig was way into the mouth and you could feel them pound the jig. I figured I try this pattern in a few other places. I checked out all the bridges and found that it was very similar on both….smallies like it better up by Wissota Marina.

I heard that there were bigger fish out there so I started to try steeper drops on the main lake. I tried jigs to spinner harnesses with minnows, I trolled with the blowing of the wind at .5-.8mph GPS. Nothing! I tried the river too and caught a couple small ones 12″ like every where else. I hit paydirt on some rip rock shore lines on the wind blown sides. I was in 10′-15′ of water with my hair jigs again. The biggest eye was 22″ most were 14-18″, in the slot of course. I caught a total of 18 fish in those areas. A little hint…don’t go far from the view on the main lake…. I wish I would have had a camera with batteries. I would have taken a couple of pics…GOOD LUCK, next week…POOL 4.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.