Wissota – 10/01/06

• mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

First off I want to thank Jason Halfen for the information he shared with me late last week as to what to use and where to try. (Jason, did I see you out there last night?) Anyway, we fished from about 5:00 until little after dark. I took my nieces husband and a good friend of mine along on this trip and we found walleyes starting to come to the shallows. Our first came to the boat with a crawler and plain hook. But after that we boated most of the fish with a jig/minnow combo. With darkness approaching, we decided to try a little trolling and managed to score three more eyes before we left for the night. All in all it was a good evening with 8 eyes boated in about an hour and halfs time. Most were in the slot with a few under. No monsters this night but some good action. This is Bob with the first fish of the night! (Ignore the date on the photo…I changed it when I got home ) Thanks again Jason for the tip!

jhalfen

Way to go Dartman!

I was out too, from 3-7:30. We struggled until around 5 and then the bite picked up for us. We ended up with ~ 10 eyes, a pike and a slab crappie, dragging jig/minnow over shallow rocks and sand. No smallies, they must all have sore mouths from this weekend’s tournament.

Great fall evening to be on the lake!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I thought that was you out there…I was planning on swinging over there but the fish were biting pretty good. I’ll know what boat to look for next time though. Did you get any nice ones? We didn’t get anything over the slot! All around the 14″ to 15″. have you tried trolling the shallows right at dark? Man they were all over the #5 shad rap!

jhalfen

Our biggest one came in at 17″, and that was the first fish of the evening. Lots of cookie-cutter 14-15s, just like you. Nothing great for size but decent action.

I haven’t pulled cranks late in the evening…I’ll have to give it a try. I tend to set up in one area where I have confidence and comb it by pitching jigs.

I chatted with our local CO at the landing…he said that the eye bite is a bit slower than a couple of weeks ago. I guess I would agree…water temps are holding right around 60 in the river. The next cold snap should really get things going. See you out there!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Haven’t been on Wissota in a long time… may have to make the trek this coming weekend. I spoke with someone that was out Friday night and he said the walleye bite was quite good. I hope the warm weather over the weekend and through the early part of this week doesn’t slow it down too much.

jhalfen

The bite actually is pretty good…what is different from a week or so ago is that the activity window is smaller now than it was then. You’ll do just fine. Drop me a line if you need a tip or two!

G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks Jason! If I make it over that way this weekend, I’ll drop you a note… from what I understand, the shallow-water bite is pretty good in the late afternoon/early evening. I’d be interested to hear your take on the daytime bite…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.