Wissota multispecies update, 9-21-06

• jhalfen

I had the chance to spend most of the day on Wissota today. Water temps continue their march southward, with temps in the very low 60s in most of the areas I fished today. We’ll be in the 50s in no time!

My predominant pattern of pitching bait to shallow rocks and sand remains intact. A major change today was the preference for minnows over crawlers or plastic….to the tune of no bites all day on the latter, and all of our bites on the former. And I do mean all of them! I also scratched out some quality eyes vertical jigging in 17-20 fow…this is the second trip in a row where methodical deep jigging has produced better-than-average eyes, a sure sign that fall is upon us.

Joining me for the after-work bite was fellow IDA staffer Jason Sullivan. We have had a chance to fish near each other several times over the past couple of years, but have never found a way to actually share a boat, until today. I wish we hadn’t waited so long!

Sully and I enjoyed a very strong walleye bite this evening, with a couple of bonus crappies and smallies thrown in as well. I lost count of the walleyes we landed, but it must have been well over a dozen during the 75-90 minutes that the hot bite lasted (hopefully Sully can back me up on this one). We had at least one double during that time. Sully is shown above with part of the catch that was going to receive the hot grease release once he made it home. Thanks for hopping in the boat tonight Sully, we’ll definitely do it again soon!

This will be my last trip on Wissota for about a week…if you’re heading out to chase some Wissota walleyes, don’t forget the minnows!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Nice report Jason. I may just have to give it a try this weekend. If not this weekend then for sure next weekend.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.