Wissota walleye update, 9-17-06

• jhalfen

After chasing Wissota bronze all day yesterday, I decided to hunt for gold today….gold and green, that is!

Tim and I had a half-way decent day today, listening to football while battling some pretty stiff winds and increased flows in the Chippewa River. We had another 15(+/-) walleye day today, with jigs/crawlers accounting for most of our fish and vertically-jigged catalpa/chartreuse tail BFT paddletails accounting for the rest. Tim scored the first really decent Wissota walleye of the fall with this thick-bodied 22″ fish. Two minutes later Tim popped a 19″, giving us two fish over the protected slot today. We had a couple of short fish, but the vast majority of our eyes were in the 15-16″ class.

With the major change in the weather, my shallow bite was (predictably) dead. We had most of our action working baits slowly down rock ledges, falling from 12 feet down to 17-20 feet. Action was very sporadic, but when we caught one fish, we were likely to follow it up with 2-3 more before things shut down.

Cool air this week will get these water temperatures heading south. This is the time to start stocking minnows in your boat, as my bite tends to shift from crawlers to fatheads as September wears on.

Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

Thanks for the report. Always good to know that someone is out fishing.

sean-lyons
    Waterloo, IA and Hager City Wi.

Jason, That’s a really good looking ‘eye in the pic, really like the colors. Glad to see somebody’s cathing fish!! My bite on P4 has been basically nonexistent. Can’t wait for November!

jhalfen

Hey thanks Sean. The water in the Chip and Lake Wissota is really dark, stained brown due to the fact that the water originates in spruce-tamarac bogs to the north. The dark water gives our fish deep, dark colors like the eye shown in this thread.

jhalfen

Onthe topic of dark Wissota walleyes, here’s another from early season, a couple of years ago. This was a 24″ fish if I remember correctly.

Mark Steffes
    Farmington, MN

Nice fish Jason, I can’t wait to try the Paddletail’s this weekend.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.