Lake Wissota update, 9-10-06

• jhalfen

Water temps are heading south up on Lake Wissota. They are in the upper 60s as of this evening, having fallen from the low 70s on Thursday before the cold front came through.

Cranking in the rocks up the river from the main lake is still putting lots of fish in the boat, but the smallies are really taking over in this pattern. The eyes that found the boat while we were trolling all came from deeper water, 15-17′, while the smallies were thick between 10 and 15′.

Pitching bait to current-swept rocks is still producing a lot of fish. Ours came in the form of multi-fish spurts with lots of dead time in-between. Mostly walleyes pitching bait today, with two decent smallies and one nice 12″ crappie. I need to dedicate a part of my next trip to targetting these slabs, as they are really starting to show up in nice numbers and size in the river. Big fish of the evening was the 19″ eye shown above. As has been our pattern of late, we found mostly slot eyes today with 2 or 3 short fish and just one over the slot.

Today was the first time that we took decent numbers while pitching fatheads, while crawlers remained supreme once dusk fell. We tapped into a nice pattern at dusk, as we watched eyes busting minnows up against the shoreline rocks. We were able to creep in close and pitch to these fish, and we subsequently took 6 eyes on 6 casts before we stirred up the spot too much.

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Great report as always Jason. Its good to see some local lakes produce some fish again lately. I have always wanted to get to know the lake a little better since it is so close by. We might have to make a trip out there sometime so you can show me how its done. Nice report and keep them coming.

Thanks

jhalfen

Quote:

I have always wanted to get to know the lake a little better since it is so close by. We might have to make a trip out there sometime so you can show me how its done.

We can definitely make that happen Eric. Wissota will get most of my attention until late Oct-Early Nov, and the river above the lake should remain fishable for some time unless it gets really cold. Classic cold-water techniques like vertical jigging holes and pitching plastic to shallows work here too, but without the competition of 100 boats flipping to the same fish!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.