Lake Wissota – 8/5/06

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

I started my day looking to hit some new water. I headed down the bait shop in downtown Chippewa Falls and I got a tip on bite up on Old Abe. I didn’t dig too deep for details and decided to head up there and give it a whirl. As we approached the Jim Falls dam, there were about a dozen cars parked there between two different parking lots. This was an indication there was some perceived action. We didn’t want to shore fish, so we proceeded to the boat launch. I wanted to cover a lot of ground on this new water trying to find active fish, so we decided to troll. I quickly realized there was too much debris to troll. So we keyed in on some distinguishing structure and pulled spinners with crawlers and leeches. Not a great ending to our adventure as we came up empty handed.

We took a mid day break to show my friend from MN some of the local sights and got ready for the night bite on Wissota. We got to the landing in the Yellow River and heard some good reports of a walleye bite, which got me excited. We started out troll near the landing and within the first 10 minutes a 18.5” walleye grabbed my crankbait. I was encouraged to get what I consider a respectable walleye by Lake Wissota standards. We worked the spot that goes from about 25 feet up to 15 feet, with not repeat success.

We moved on to continue pulling plastic on big Wissota. We were not able to put a pattern together and finished night with a 13” walleye.

Sully

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

Sounds like a tough time fishing.

How was the flow on Old Abe and the Yellow River areas? Last time I was on either there was no flow, but expect some changes with this last rain we had. The Yellow River was VERY green/yellow last time.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

It would be hard for me to be a judge of Old Abe, since it was my first time.

I had a rough night, but eariler in the week I had done much better. The walleye bite seems to be pretty good considering the water temp is 74 degrees.

My report is poor reflection of the potential. I’m hitting the water again tonight, so hopefully I will be able to come back with something noteworthy.

Sully

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.