Saturday report

• G_Smitty
    New Richmond, WI

Made it out to Wissota on Saturday a.m. We fished a portion of the river further up past the Mallard – drifted jigs, mostly crawlers. We had a pretty good morning – caught 4 walleyes that were in the slot, five more that were just under 14″, and a jumbo perch (was as big as the walleyes!). We had two young ladies in the boats (first time out fishing) and they won the prize for biggest, most interesting fish! One hooked up a big flathead (ran a couple of ounces over 6 lbs) and the other hooked up a 32+” sturgeon! I think they’re now both hooked!

It was raining lightly when we first got out but then turned out to be a glorious day! We sat and watched a few eagles doing their thing – diving down and grabbing some pretty good sized fish. We had two boats out and killed some time have a fun water fight between boats.

Once we ran out of bait, we headed back, changed over the boat, and pulled the young ones on the tube and the older kids on skis. Everyone had their fill of time on the water…

Before pulling the boat out, we ‘got rid’ of the last few crawler and leaches at the drop-off, crib-infested waters just outside of the boat launch (rod and gun club) and pulled in a few nice sized walleyes (just under the slot). I hooked into something very large but it spit the jig after it surfaced and jumped out of the water – I assume it was a larger bass but may have been a big walleye – was just too far away from the boat to get a good look at it!

All in all, a great day on Wissota!

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Nice report King…I would’ve rather had been on the water, but Rock Fest tickets kept me from fishing this past weekend. Hopefully sometime this week I’ll hit Wissota!

Jermo

Would you happen to know of a bait shop in town that has a map of the lake. I found it on the net but we are coming up this weekend and dont think it will get to me in time. We are spending a week there and have never fished the lake, any input would be nice. Going after smallies, walleyes and pike.
    Thanks!

jhalfen

Scheels and Gander Mountain in Eau Claire have hot spots maps available. The WI DNR has nice maps on the web that you can print for free. Just google WI DNR lake maps and find Wissota.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.