Lake Wissota – 6/6/06

• Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Last night was the first night the Lake Wissota Fishing League. Bowhuntr24 (Erik) and I get quite the kick out of hitting the water on Tuesday’s to match skills against the other locals. We represented IDA well. Erik took 3rd and I took 8th place out of 30 plus participants.

Erik had done some pre-fishing and found a couple spots with a mixed bag of bluegills, crappies, northern, bucketmouths, and smallies. It’s nice to see a mixed bag like that for the multi-species format of this league.

We hit the first spot near downed wood in the water and quickly got on the board with some nice bluegills. We found our bluegills were real tight to shore. We had our floats set about two feet. We both were using crawler sections on a plain hook under floats. About half the fish brought to the boat were in the 7” to 8” range. I think the biggest was 8.5”.

We kept moving along the shoreline and found that it wasn’t necessary to be right next to wood. They were somewhat scattered along the shoreline.

We had a couple rock bass mixed in for some bonus points and a couple nice bass that helped us out. The posted photo is of the biggest bass that made it to the ruler. We had a couple nice fish come unbuttoned at boatside. They were heart breakers in terms of points.

We used the witching hour to target the crappies. They seemed to have disappeared. Erik was able to catch two crappies that really helped him out for points.

In speaking to the other participants smallies and bluegills were the primary catch last night. I didn’t hear of any musky sightings.

Sully

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

So what are the rules for the league? Is it a random selection of who you get to fish? Or are you and your fishing partner on the honor system which may present problems?

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

It’s total honor system. You measure your partners fish and are competing against them, which is the built in “security measure”.

When it comes down to it, it’s on the honor system. I have not perceived it to be a problem in the past.

Sully

bigpike

My buddy Barret and I might be interested in this, I will ask him, could you send the times? Thanks Jason, Bill

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

League starts each night at 6:00 PM and ends depending on sunset time. This past week it was at 9:45, which of course was after sunset.

PM if you want the contact info of the league organizer.

Sully

bigpike

One more question- is this a bass tourny, multi-species or what? thanks Bill

bigpike

I’m off to Canada Monday but when I get back we will give it a whirl, Thank You for the info. Looks like June 27th will be the day……

bigpike

Jason are do you belong to the league? Looks like you need to sign up for that first.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.