Walleye on Wissota

• bigpike

Just wanted to let interested people know that the walleye fishing has really been great this fall, get out on the flowage and hit your favorite holes, I found a good deal of eaters in the 15-20′ range with plain light jigs and minnows, also tackled a real nice muskie on this presentation. She busted my 4# test by flipping out of the water and tail dancing at the boat in front of 10 or so interested people, it was fun on my 7 1/2′ ultralight. I have been personally very busy and have not gotten out enough but all mt friends are reporting this type of great action. Good luck……Bill

jhalfen

I’ve been out twice this week, both in high NW/West winds. Tonight had a touch of rain thrown in for good measure. All of my fish were shallow, most in less than 6 FOW, on downwind shorelines that were taking a pounding from the waves. Had to have the motor in almost full reverse just to hold my position. It was one of those nights when I start to hum “the wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” to myself.

Anyway, there are fish to be had. I took fish on jig/minnow and jig/twister tail presentations. Water temps in the main lake are still in the upper 50s, but the temps in the Chip are right around 55. This weekend should knock a few degrees off the water temps.

krisko
    Durand, WI

I went out a few days ago with little sucess catching any eyes on the lake. Tried the little lake and caught a few small ones. Found mostly hungry panfish…..any other reports???

jhalfen

The last time I was out on the main lake, which was at least 10 days ago, I took a few fish along steep drops (dropping into the main basin at 30’+) on the west side of the big lake on jig/minnow. I did see my average size increase over other fall trips, including one 23″ and one 21″. I’m spending my time on pool 4 while I wait for Wissota ice. I heard that the yellow river arm is starting to get a little crunchy, but that is second-hand.

Jason Sullivan
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

The last time I was out on the main lake, which was at least 10 days ago, I took a few fish along steep drops (dropping into the main basin at 30’+) on the west side of the big lake on jig/minnow. I did see my average size increase over other fall trips, including one 23″ and one 21″. I’m spending my time on pool 4 while I wait for Wissota ice. I heard that the yellow river arm is starting to get a little crunchy, but that is second-hand.

I can verify that the Yellow River is iced up. I live right on it. We have had a full sheet of ice on my bay by the K bridge for over a week.

Is this the first spot of the lake to freeze up usually?

Sully

bigpike

I’m not sure Sully but I will be on little Wissota next week hammering those first ice crappies. This year with the digital I will try to post a few pictures of Wissota pig crappies. I cant wait!!!!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey bigpike

Digi cameras add a whole new aspect to fishing. Being able to instantly produce proof to all those doubting fishing buddies is priceless!

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for those pics. You get into the big slabs over there on Wissota?

krisko
    Durand, WI

Where abouts on the little lake do you hit these slabs. I’ve never really ice fished Wassota before. In fact I don’t ice fish much at all.

jhalfen

We pick up slabs (12-14″) with some consistency while targetting eyes, mostly bottom bouncing with a spinner and minnow. I do most of my work in the big lake and up the rivers, so I can’t help much with the little lake.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Heck anywhere would be nice. Just looking for a little help. My girlfriend lives up in Chippewa and it would be an easy place to go for just a little bit. Any help would be great.

jhalfen

Well, two community spots that are easily accessible up the yellow river arm are in moon bay. You can get at them either from the state park, or from the public access that is in the bay upriver from the park. The north side of moon bay has some really nice depth changes, and we pick up pike and eyes on flags as well as crappies on small jigs in that area. A lot of guys set up on south side of the river, in the bay that is directly across from the state park access. The bottom there is pretty flat, but pretty deep. That would seem to me to be a good place to target slabs but would probably not hold too many toothy critters.

krisko
    Durand, WI

Thanks for the info. I was going to have Joe Turner take me out too. He seems to know where to go too. I’m just getting back into the ice fishing. I used to do it when I was 12-15yrs old. The only thing is someone always put me on fish. Now I have to find them. Oh well, thanks for the help!!!

jhalfen

Krisko: I’ll try to give you a heads up when I get out there this winter. I’m no guide by any means, but I’d be happy to show you around the handful of spots that have produced for us in the past.

bigpike

On the little lake go out from the View and head south, then east look for the guys and set up any where in that area, the crappies roam in schools early ice and feed pretty heavy, we pick them up in anywhere from 25-40′. If you see guys catching fish wait it out or move around to the other side of them looking for fish on the locater, we pick up walleyes doing this also, I also will set up a line of tip downs and when fish trigger on a tip down its time to move to that hole, the line of tip downs will let you know where the fish are at, I dont usually catch them on tip downs because they let go before I can get there but it informs me on where the school of crappies is at. First 3 weeks are PRIME but even after that if you move around or find stucture like trees or cribs you can catch fish all winter long, everyone complains about not catching fish on Wissota, but really it is a pretty easy body to fish because of all the large areas of un-inhabited water. Find a little stucture and more times than not fish are there, Yes James I need to learn to post pictures from my camera to this sight, I have the camera and we upgraded to a new computer so I should be able to figure it out, otherwise I might drop you a line with a few questions, I’m still trying to figure out the computer age!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m happy to helo with the posting of pics thing any time, for anyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.