WI River at Petenwell and Dells dams

• z-man
    Dousman, WI

Well, figured i had to go out for a warmer-upper before heading to Pool 4 for our 4th annual outing in a couple weeks, so hit something a little closer to home. Tuesday, we fished the river at Petenwell dam, and except for one other boat for a few hours, we had it to ourselves again (Just like last Tuesday). didn’t rush out at the crack of dawn, but let the temps rise a bit, so we hit the water about 10 am. Lots of eyes stacked up near the dam, and most of the 60 or so we boated were in the dam area, 18 to 20 fow, in a large back-current area. While only 6 were legal, the action of aggressive bites throughout the day was just the ticket to get rid of those winter doldrums. Unlike last tuesday, where my ringoworms out-fished the others using jig/minnow, the eyes did not have much of an appetite for the plastic this time round, so I cried uncle, and used minnows for half the day. But now for the tear-jerker…..we had planned to fish the Dells area on Wednesday, and stuck with our plan. We should have obeyed the first commandment of fishing….Never, never ever leave fish to find fish! (which I tend to do fairly often, and I don’t quite know why) Wednesday dealt us a big, fat skunk after 6 hours trying every former honey hole I knew of, and using a variety of techniques. But not all bad, cuz enjoyed a day on the boat with a good bud, on a stretch of river more scenic than any I know of, and now have an added dose of humility….when I could have been at the sweat-shop.

z-man
    Dousman, WI

A breath of fresh air for those of you feeling ice-bound. This is a shot of open water at the Petenwell Dam from Tuesday, with my bud holding one of the dozens of undersize we got that day. So there really is open water outside of Pool 4, fellas. (But not the steady quality of fish).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.