Lake Wisconsin this next weekend, 24-25

• darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

I am coming up to the area this next weekend and was wondering if anyone has been doing much as of late? I know that there is a lot of forage in the system this year and the bite has been tougher than normal. Has anyone else notice an abnormal number of white bass this fall in the 3″ range? Should make for some fat eyes and northerns this winter. Anyway, thanks in advance for any info.

Bassman

jimt
    Sparta, WI

I think the bass fishing is definately off. Fished in a little team tourney there last month and only 3 fish were brought in out of 7 teams. Was the first time on that body of water and don’t think I’ll be back anytime soon. Did catch a few LM on swim jigs at the end of the day but they were a little short. Except for us, the other teams were “old pros” to the lake and had never seen it that slow. There were some big bluegills under the docks just about everywhere we went, but thats about it.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

jimt,

Thanks for the input. I wouldn’t give up on the lake just yet though. I know it is tough to fish, but you can pull some good numbers out of there most of the time. What club are you in? I was in Black River Bassmasters of Sparta when I lived up there a few years back. If you ever get back to Lake Wisconsin, drop me a line, I grew up there an fish it often and would love to help you out if you would like.

Thanks again
    Bassman

airpart

Hi Bassman,

My wife and I are going to try Lake Wisconsin for the first time on Oct 1 & 2. Never been there before and wondered if you can give me any pointers for catching Crappies and/or White bass. General locations etc. Any areas with underwater junk to watch out for? Thanks
    Ray

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Airpart,

I am going to shoot you a PM Wed, but first, do you have a map of the lake? I have a couple of pots to try for you, what will you be using for a boat and what is your starting point/launch area? This will help me to cut down on unneeded running for you. Thanks and I will get that out for you. They have also removed the markers for the year so remember to use cation on the main lake. The main hazards are the stumps. I will give you more info later. Any interest in gills?

Bassman

airpart

Thanks for the quick reply. I think we will be getting off of interstate 90/94/39 at the Poynette exit and following the signs to the lake. We took a look at it last week and I think there is a public ramp there across from a bait shop. We have a Sylvan 19foot boat with a 150 Johnson and a T-8. My wife and I prefer trolling because that is what we are used to so I guess trolling spots would be best.
    We need to catch some white bass as we are having a family/friends fish fry soon and our last trip to Lake Pepin in MN didn’t give us enough fish for this huge event. Wouldn’t mind having some Crappies for the freezer for winter also. And NO I don’t have a lake map but will probably go into the bait shop and get one if they have one.
    Hope I didn’t ramble too much.
    Ray

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Ray,

If you want to target walleyes and strippers trolling right now, I would troll in the stump fields accross fromm tippery pnt. I think they are getting some stripers over by okee as well, but am not 100% sure about that. Crappies are in the docks out at mmon valley and some good bluegills can be found over in the fingers up tight to the docks. Some crappies are mixed in with the gills too. There is a bass tourney on the lake this coming sunday, so you may want to be aware of that. The launch by the Grade will be packed. That sounds like the one you were going to use. There is another one accross the grade then to the left and down about 1 mile though. Just a thought. I would use minnows and waxies for the gills and crappies. We were using brite ice jigs for our gills and crappies.

Good luck and please report how you do.

Bassman

airpart

Thanks for all of the info. I think I will try that other ramp and I certainly will post how we do. Thaks again
    Ray

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.