Need Help – Wisconsin River, Boscobel Area

• cherilovell
    Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin

I noticed that there are two boat landings on HWY E in Boscobel and notice people shore fishing. Can anyone tell me about these areas, what’s being caught, ect. Also, I notice that the water levels in this area seem to differ day to day – what’s up with that?
    Thanks for any help.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Cheri,

The Boscobel boat landing shore line has a nice deep hole and a lot of current. They get smallies on the rocks and walleyes there a few cats also in the deep holes. There are also a few really good shore spots up stream on the north side about 200-300 yards up stream. If you are an adventurer, you can walk down river from the Boat landing and there are some really nice sandbars down a ways that have some nice current breaks. Fish anywhere you can find 6 feet or more of water and you will do ok.

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I’ve caught decent walleye on the shoreline another 200 hundred yards south of the sandbars whisker mentioned, but you’ll need a boat. If you don’t have a boat, renting a canoe and floating from Blue River to Boscobel or from Boscobel to Woodman is a good day trip.

Matt

Whiskerkev
    Madison

With the water being so low right now, a canoe is a very good option. Low water on the Wisconsin congregates lots of big fish in certain areas.

cherilovell

So is this to say that when it’s low water that fishing from shore is not a good option (right there at either of the boat landings)? I have been to woodman before a couple years back but don’t remember how to get there.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Actually, there are some deep holes close to the shore. Find these holes and you will catch a wide variety of fish. The lower stretches of the Wisconsin also have some fantastic smallie fishing if you like to catch them. If you get out and catch some let us know. I am hoping to get some fishing in on the lower Wisconsin this weekend as well. Closer to Prairie though.

Good luck, Bassman

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

About the water levels, they might be influenced by the Miss a little if it is high/rising. Also, there are a lot of smaller streams that dump in to that area of river that can change things a lot. Good luck again

Bassman

cherilovell

Hey, thanks guys for the help. One more question, is there one side better then the other of the HWY?

Whiskerkev
    Madison

As youth we fished the wisconsin solely from shore and always caught fish. You can easily tell by looking at the water if you have 5-6 feet. With the low water conditions, many areas are only a foot or two deep. Once you find a hole it is good fishing anywhere. Either side of the river is equally productive. there are two spots just up stream from the bridge that you can practically drive to and park there.

Matt Hall
    Mount Horeb, WI

I’d also recommend the two spots upstream of the bridge. Good Luck! Please post a report, I grew up in Boscobel but haven’t fished the Wisconsin for years, I’m planning to make a trip back sometime later this summer.

cherilovell

Quote:

there are two spots just up stream from the bridge that you can practically drive to and park there.

I am lost when it comes to “up stream” or “down stream”. Is this taking HWY 60 west or east? And how far from down are these spots. I notice more people on the boat launch thats on the east side – is this where one of these “holes” are.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

upstream would be east. That is the direction the water comes from

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.