Crappies and walleyes

• darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

After the tournament, and during prefishing, I was plesantly surprised to find the crappies and walleyes biting like crazy. My partner and I caught 4 17″ walleyes on tubes and spider grubs in less than three feet of water during prefishing the Sunday before last, and two during the tournament. The crappies were also being caught around us as we were fishing both times. Got out on Sunday, the first, and caught a few. I was surprised how many walleyes were in that depth range at this time of year. Pumpkin colored plastics seemed to be the best color. Good luck to all of you trying over the next couple of days. Please drop us a line and let know how you are doing.

Bassman

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Hey Bassman,

What kind of area were you finding the shallow eyes at? I’m going out Saturday morning and wouldn’t mind having some idea of where to start. Shallow water near the steeper drops was my plan. Figured on pitching plastics for the first couple hours then maybe do some trolling. Any tips would be appreciated. Haven’t been out in over a month and feel really out of touch with what’s going on up there.

Thanks.

darin_rs
    Glen Ellyn, IL

Mendotaeye,

Actually, we got some of them out of the fingers pitching plastics. Also got some throughing crank on the river. On the lake, weeds were a big factor along with baitfish (river shinners). Hope this helps, I know that may sound odd, we didn’t expect them either. The crappies were in the same area. There are also a lot of guys fishing the hole accross from Tippery Point.

Bassman

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Bassman,

Not the answer I expected, but not all that surpising I guess. Thanks for the info. I’ll post up my results Saturday night.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.