Lake Wisconsin

• Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Took Nancy and Finley out to Lake Wisconsin to chase some walleyes on Saturday and Sunday.
    Despite being gone for a week out to Lake Oahe, I figured the lake levels would still be high. We also got a nice cold front to go with it on saturday morning.
    Flow thru the Dells dam had reached nearly 40,000 cubic feet making the water high and some what dirty.
    We decided to break out the crawler rigs first thing in the morning and slowly work up and down the breaks. We found some willing fish in 15′ of water in the early morning. Many of them were small and some turned out to be sheephead, crappies and bluegills also.
    Later in the morning we found some more around the 18′ depths. By 10:30am, we had managed to put four legals up to 18.5″ long in the boat and decided to go home and catch up on the yard work that got neglected last week.
    Sunday morning I anticipated a better bite and we started out in the same areas with only 1 legal walleye amongst the mixture of other assorted species. By 9:00am, I had seen enough and decided to move to another spot and break out the crankbaits.
    This seemed to help a little bit as we did pick up two more legals by trolling around a 14′ deep hump. By 11:00am we decided to call it a morning so Nancy could go visit her dad on fathers day.
    Around 5pm, we headed back out to give it another shot. We started off trolling where we left off in the morning but found only one legal fish on the 14′ deep hump.
    So we moved again to troll a bigger and longer under water hump. Here we found 3 more legal fish scattered along in different spots along the hump. No one spot seemed to hold and abundance of fish for us today but by continuing to move around we did pull seven legal walleyes and saugers by days end. (3 in the morning and 4 in the evening)
    Nancy wanted to catch one more for her first legal limit ever but we couldn’t get that last one to go.
    Here is a picture of the four we caught this evening.
    JWB

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Great reports coming from you JWB…thanks

When your pulling crawler rigs are you using a spinner rig ? Or just a floating jig?

Thanks for the info,

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Sorry ecnook,
    Once the weekend starts I usually don’t get back on-line until the next week and didn’t see your post until this morning.
    Up until this weekend, almost all my crawler rigged fish have come on a setup that consist of a 3 to 3-1/2′ lead, a single bead, and a thin wire hook. No blade or spinner.
    The thin wire hook bends out easily so that I don’t lose them all the time in the stumps and cribs.
    I have run spinners on and extra rod set in a rod holder.
    The spinners/crawlers have not been getting bit as often as the plain crawler rigs. The sheapshead really seem to like them though!
    JWB

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

LOL !! I don’t make my rounds near fast enough either…there is a lot to this site…

Very good info on the live bait rigs…I’ll give that a try this next week..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.