wiring new finder to a 2 battery trolling motor system?

• primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

I just bought a 5 year old boat that has two 12 volt batteries wired together for the large Minnkota Maxxum 24 volt trolling motor. My new Lowrance down scan wires will only reach one battery and I don’t want to blow it up with 24 volts. The wires from trolling motor goes to the first battery I can reach with, pos wire to pos post and the neg wire to positive on second battery and neg back to trolling motor. There is a name for that but I forgot what it was 20 years ago when I hit 60. Just don’t want to screw up the new Lowrance. Thanks in advance. I don’t trust Utube, to many block heads giving bad advice.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Red wire to Red + post
    Black wire to Black – post…ON THE SAME BATTERY.

You may have trolling motor interference on your locator from what I’ve heard.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

If you wire your Lowrance to the TM batteries, there is a good chance that you will pick up interference in the form of clutter on the Lowrance coming from the TM.

Typically you’ll want to power the Lowrance to the starting battery wiring it direct with an inline fuse.

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

BK types faster than I do!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

BK types faster than I do!

Maybe he cheats and uses voice recognition.

primitive
    Davenport, Iowa

I’m thinking the interference would be just when the trolling motor is running, right. The Lowrance I’m hooking up is in the rear near the tiller operator so hope it works out. Hasn’t blown up yet.
    There is another finder up front strapped to the trolling motor, by the troller operator. Thanks for the help.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

A friend and I recently added an extra finder to his boat and wired it to the TM battery. There is heavy clutter in the top 10 – 15 feet but every finder that I’ve ever had has had surface clutter no matter where it was wired to for power. We tend to fish for fish that are below the clutter line so I don’t see it being a huge problem.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.